Tri Tip Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

culpepersmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2010
Split between Michigan and Texas
Normally when I do a Tri Tip (which isn't that often) I trim all the fat off it, Kosher salt and pepper then either reverse sear or smoke it until it hits about 125 degrees. Pull it, rest it and slice it. This weekend my brother in law would like me to cook him 6 or 7 Tri Tips but he wants the fat cap left on and well done. I'm thinking the only way to do this and have it chewable afterwards is to approach them like a brisket. Smoke until 165 degrees the wrap and take them to 195 or so. Does this make sense or does anyone have a better approach? If wrapping would you use butcher paper or foil? I've never used butcher paper but I just picked some up at HEB and thinking it might be a good time to try it.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
Nope not at all. I cooked these with fat cap on and came out pretty good salt pepper and that was it. I pulled the off at 135 and let rest. You may want to go 150 if you don’t like that much red and let it rest. The temp will rise. The ends tend to get closer to well the higher you go in finish temp
08F85A27-A48F-449F-965D-41F6821AC353.jpeg

17B9BEAE-2CBC-40D8-A9DE-34991E580846.jpeg

B5189582-561A-4920-AE50-E13C24139299.jpeg

26466231-726D-4717-AA0B-0486CB1C74CB.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
Doing TT like brisket can work. It's unfortunate that there are still individuals in this era that haven't educated their pallets to something less than well done. I actually put the blame for this back on their parents which is probably a handed down belief from further back in the family tree where refrigeration wasn't prevalent thus the only way known then to be safe was to cook the you know what out of it. OK, off the soap box.... here's a link back to a thread where TT was done like brisket.

Reactions: 73saint
Hey some people souse vide them. More then one one way to cook them. Choose what works best for you and yours. Good luck in your endeavor. I’m sure you will nail it. I’m just posting what I have actually cooked and tasted. Had I done a brisket Tri tip i would have posted pics of first hand information. I have seen it done in videos though.

Last edited:
Misread. My mistake and apology.

Last edited:
I have seen some folks do a TT brisket style and swear by it, although I've not. I take mine to 145 when I have people that don't want too much red. It's still pretty darn good that way.

Reactions: flatbroke
Normally when I do a Tri Tip (which isn't that often) I trim all the fat off it, Kosher salt and pepper then either reverse sear or smoke it until it hits about 125 degrees. Pull it, rest it and slice it. This weekend my brother in law would like me to cook him 6 or 7 Tri Tips but he wants the fat cap left on and well done. I'm thinking the only way to do this and have it chewable afterwards is to approach them like a brisket. Smoke until 165 degrees the wrap and take them to 195 or so. Does this make sense or does anyone have a better approach? If wrapping would you use butcher paper or foil? I've never used butcher paper but I just picked some up at HEB and thinking it might be a good time to try it.

Thanks everyone.

I know there was a thread on this some time ago but basically yes you can cook it just like brisket. I remember being surprised b/c I've only cooked it medium like a steak. I will see if I can find the thread

I can't find the thread. I guess it was before the site migrated.

Anyway, from memory you want to cook it to 200-ish like a brisket but just not in between the normal 135ish medium temp.

Thanks everyone.

I would take them to 150° and rest. It will appear to be well but still have moisture in it.

Doing TT like brisket can work. It's unfortunate that there are still individuals in this era that haven't educated their pallets to something less than well done. I actually put the blame for this back on their parents which is probably a handed down belief from further back in the family tree where refrigeration wasn't prevalent thus the only way known then to be safe was to cook the you know what out of it. OK, off the soap box.... here's a link back to a thread where TT was done like brisket.

Its not about education. Its about personal preference. Thats like saying people who dont like Beer haven't educated their pallets. I know people that dont like things based on textures. Are you saying they haven't educated their pallets to adjust to the texture? Bottom line is people are paying for a product and they can consume it how they want. If they like it a different way than you then so be it but its not about educating their pallets.

Found this video hope it helps with your cook

schlotz schlotz I’m interested in seeing one or two of the high temp Tri tips you cooked. Can you provide a link or pics. Maybe I’d give it a try. I have a few cases in the freezer and willing to gamble on losing one

Here is a tri-tip I did brisket style. Was absolutely delicious. I'm not saying that the more conventional method isn't good - this just turned out very well too ;)
Sorry, photobucket turned into a-holes and messed my pics up.

Reactions: flatbroke
Here is a tri-tip I did brisket style. Was absolutely delicious. I'm not saying that the more conventional method isn't good - this just turned out very well too ;)
Sorry, photobucket turned into a-holes and messed my pics up.
no problem. Thanks for posting what you actually cooked. It looks great. My photobucket pics are lost too.

but he wants the fat cap left on and well done.
I would say NO WAY MAN - if you want well done get some cheap steaks and burn them. fat cap on a TT never heard of that, well done is a crime.

Attachments

• 2020-07-02_13-31-19.jpg
    2020-07-02_13-31-19.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reactions: schlotz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky