Traulsen Commercial Refrigerator build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Even just a good 1 1/2" opening on either side would be sufficient. Use a damper in the exhaust. You don't need to worry much about controlling the air intake.

OK.....  here goes....   Whenever I built something that took tinkering to get it to work the way I thought it should, and then had MAJOR success, like you have had, pull up a patio chair, some cold beer or Kentucky, and just watch it do it's magic...  Watch the temp rise in the meat....  watch the smoke curl from between the boards...    listen to the crackle of the fire in the firebox.....  and try to figure out how to make it better....  can I get the temps perfectly even inside the smoker ??   Can I get the fire to burn a little cleaner to perfect that elusive Thin Blue Smoke everyone talks about ??  What happened to my beer... it was full 10 seconds ago...

Performance ??   I have no idea....   BUT...  It must be an important part of this smoking stuff...  I've contemplated it forever....

Thanks Dave. Point taken. I remember a book as a kid that mentioned gardening as a philosophers job, looks like smoking meat can be too. Btw, you are only about 3.5 hours away. We drive through sometimes on our way up to Canada. Lived on Oroville for a job a couple years back as well. Anywho, thanks for advice. I'd really like to try that 2 inch chimney so I could use the ball valve, but it's too much work to change later.

making some progress today as I took today to focus and hopefully finish it. First off with the help of my wife we scrubbed all the years of scum off all surfaces inside and out. I'm surprised at how well it shined up.

May I suggest and over temp circuit that sounds an alarm and cuts off the elec...  In the event of fire...   I've had it happen twice...  both times I was tending the unit...   lucky me.....

Darned if I know....   I do know I wish I had it on my smokers....  Maybe a N-O closes on overtemp situation..  I'm no electrician but at times I have an idea what I would want...

Hmm. Food for thought. I think the smd has an alarm on it, but I'm not sure how I could make that work. I will look into it.

12;30 am and I just quit working on the smoker. Didn't get it quite finished for burn in. Bummer. Looks like the turkey will have to go on the old smoker tomorrow. More pics to come tomorrow

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky