• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Tough Ribs

auballard

Joined May 28, 2019
Tried ribs for the first time this weekend. I used the 3-2-1 method and Butt Rub dry rub. Although the taste was good they were very tough. Hard to pull the meat off the bone. The meat itself was mostly tender.

Any suggestions?

SmokinVOLfan

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 27, 2018
Sounds like they weren't done. What type of smoker are you using and what temp did you smoke them at?

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
I am going with underdone as previous posters have said.

What was your pit temp? Can I assume that by using the 3-2-1 method that you wrapped the ribs?

I need a few more details....

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
I am going with underdone as previous posters have said.

What was your pit temp? Can I assume that by using the 3-2-1 method that you wrapped the ribs?

I need a few more details....
agreed... more info needed. what kind of ribs? St Louise or Baby Backs??? the kind of rib makes a big difference.

noboundaries

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
3-2-1 method, so it is easy to assume they were pork spare ribs, not BBs. We don't know the chamber temp, although I see another post while I'm typing this one.

Holding onto the bone with meat generally tender means they probably only needed another 30 minutes unwrapped in the smoker to finish.

auballard

Joined May 28, 2019
Thank you all. My apologies for not providing more info.

I have an 802 Pit Boss which has a "smoke" setting. I believe the "Smoke" temp is 180 as the next temperature setting up is 200. These were baby back ribs rubbed with Butt Rub dry rub. I cooked them uncovered bone side down for 3 hours. Removed, wrapped them in aluminum foil, and placed back on the smoker meat side down for 2 hours. Removed from smoker, removed foil, and smoked another hour bone side down.

Thank you all.

gmc2003

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
321 and 221 are just guidelines for smoking ribs at 225*. Did you add any juice to the foil?

Chris

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
If you repeat your cook and bump the cook temp to between 225 and 250 they will be fall apart tender. Someone else mentioned as well that when you wrap you can put a little apple juice. Alternatively squirt a liberal amount of parkay on the foil and sprinkle with some brown sugar and extra rub.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
I agree next cook run your 3-2-1 at 250 and your ribs should come out nice and tender.

gmc2003

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
OK. Thank you. I did not add anything.

I will try again. Live and learn. Thank you.
My foiling routine is like jcams except I use real butter. Parkay is hard to come by around here. The braising helps tenderize the ribs. So the longer their in the foil the looser they'll get. We like FOTB ribs here so I usually go the full two hours in foil then put them back on the grill meat side up to set, and sauce if saucing.

Chris

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
My foiling routine is like jcams except I use real butter. Parkay is hard to come by around here. The braising helps tenderize the ribs. So the longer their in the foil the looser they'll get. We like FOTB ribs here so I usually go the full two hours in foil then put them back on the grill meat side up to set, and sauce if saucing.

Chris
I am going to switch to real butter as well Chris. Although parkay squeeze is abundant around here butter is so much better in both flavor and for health.

browneyesvictim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 16, 2016
Never understood why Parkay either. I can understand the convenience of a "squeeze butter". Someone must have stock family stake in the brand name at some point, and stuck ever since.

gmc2003

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Never understood why Parkay either. I can understand the convenience of a "squeeze butter". Someone must have stock family stake in the brand name at some point, and stuck ever since.
I think it started with Johnny Trigg from one of the BBQ shows.

Chris

schlotz

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 13, 2015
Thank you all. My apologies for not providing more info.

I have an 802 Pit Boss which has a "smoke" setting. I believe the "Smoke" temp is 180 as the next temperature setting up is 200. These were baby back ribs rubbed with Butt Rub dry rub. I cooked them uncovered bone side down for 3 hours. Removed, wrapped them in aluminum foil, and placed back on the smoker meat side down for 2 hours. Removed from smoker, removed foil, and smoked another hour bone side down.

Thank you all.
Hmm... okay I'd suggest increasing the heat to 225º. You also should get a calibrated thermometer and measure your actual grate temps. Internal built-in therms are notorious for being inaccurate. If wrapping babybacks (personally stopped messing with that years ago) many suggest using something closer to 2-2-1. Key is to know when done. The methods (in order of preference) I would suggest are: the toothpick (little or no resistance), bend (grab a third of the rack with tongs and see if it bends approx 45º with cracks in the meat appearing across the rack). Usually the meat by this time has also pulled back from the bone ends a bit. Doneness is also subjective as some like a clean bite while others prefer FOB (fall off the bone). If interested, see recipe in sig below.

Terry5357

Joined Jul 23, 2019
Tried ribs for the first time this weekend. I used the 3-2-1 method and Butt Rub dry rub. Although the taste was good they were very tough. Hard to pull the meat off the bone. The meat itself was mostly tender.

Any suggestions?
3-2-1 only works if grill temp is 225-250 degrees. Add some beer for steaming when doing the 2 hr process.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
In My Opinion, 3-2-1 was for Spare Ribs using 225° to 250°.
However I prefer 2.5-2.5-0.5.

BabyBacks usually call for 225° @ 2-2-1.

Bear

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.