Tough collagen casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pellet user

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 12, 2017
I am using LEM collagen casings and stuffed them and smoked them. The flavor is on point and the texture is where I like it. The only issue I have is the casings are tough. Not commercial quality. My process:

Grind meat
Add seasoning and grind again
Stuff into casings
Let sit overnight in Fridge
Smoke at 130°-160° for 6 hours
Finish in oven till internal temp is at least 155°
Chill in Ice bath
Let dry and put into paper bags in the fridge for 2 weeks to get some additional drying time.

IMO collagen casings can be a little chewey at times. I assume it can depend on how fresh they are. Results will vary. If you want a soft casing I prefer using natural casings (sheeps). That too depends on quality and other variables. Ive found using collagen or naturals, after stuffing, sausage should be cooked/smoked and not left in a refrigerator unless covered to hold the moisture in. If left open the refrigerator will dry out the casings, a pellicle will not form and they can become chewy.
Under stuffing can also cause a chewey result. I see videos of people stuffing sausage and just cranking it out as fast as they can. IMO this is not a good practice. Its best to stuff casings slow and allow the casing to expand. When it expands it becomes thinner and makes for a better bite.

Boykjo

I agree with everything said in post 2 , so I won't add anything to that .
I'm guessing you're doing snack sticks ?
When I do Summer sausage I'll do a pound or so of sticks no casing .
Just cranked out on a tray then smoked / cooked .
20220505_114056.jpg
20220505_170309.jpg

I agree with your experience about tough collagen casings...but the sticks are so good that I overlook this.

I also agree that you need to stuff slowly. I normally have a few blow-outs on the first stick or two until I find the sweet spot for max pressure with no blow-outs.

I agree with everything said in post 2 , so I won't add anything to that .
I'm guessing you're doing snack sticks ?
When I do Summer sausage I'll do a pound or so of sticks no casing .
Just cranked out on a tray then smoked / cooked .
View attachment 648230
View attachment 648231
If this works like I think it will, I will do a LOT more sticks. Thanks for sharing!

Stuffing sticks into casings is not fun!

If this works like I think it will, I will do a LOT more sticks. Thanks for sharing!
I started doing it because my LEM 5lb doesn't like the small tube after a night in the fridge with the cured grind . To stiff . I usually grind one day , stuff the next .

Thank you all for the replies. I have been hesitant to use natural casings as I am thinking blowouts are easier. I will have to give the sheep and hog a try. I like making my own sausage and have using a few different recipes.

It's not been said.. but I am assuming you are using Cure#1 (or equivalent) ??

You can always peel the casings off too ...
Yes I use Cure#1. Yes I could peel off the casings. Just more work that I care not to have to do.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky