Total Newbie—80 gallon offset build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cheiniger

Original poster
Jan 13, 2018
I started this project 5 weeks ago. Prior to this I had never welded or done any sort of metal fabrication. I bought a cheap welder and angle grinder on Amazon and gave it my best shot. I got so much help from reading and seeing pictures on this website that I feel like I need to post my own thread. Before I started, reading every build helped me learn something, regardless of the style or builder skill level.
5C995DDF-3010-4BEB-AF51-5B9F6219B30E.jpeg

Future Cook Chamber. 80 gallon air tank picked up from a salvage yard. I wanted something a little bigger, but this is what they had and I was anxious to get started.
CF34807D-DDD5-4FF5-B41D-841D5C62567D.jpeg

25 gallon air tank for the firebox.
AF54D0A9-6DD1-4331-84BC-06AF4BDFE16C.jpeg

Tanks are lined up, trying to visualize how they will connect. I lifted the big tank onto the table by myself and threw my back out for a week.
AAE132FF-9368-4D4E-A910-9C403ADF89A7.jpeg

This is the frame for the cook chamber to sit on. It was the first thing I welded. Welding was harder than I thought it would be. I had a lot of stuck rods in this first part. I burned 1/8 inch 6013 rods at 135 Amps on a 220V plug.
D90FA2A1-2B24-4607-B5F7-4453502DCDD0.jpeg

1FAC01D4-F2D8-4B9F-8C20-D1A9C4D9DB21.jpeg

The door is cut and hinges added. My hinge welds are not great but better than my frame. My friends all thought I was the first person to put a horseshoe on top as a door stop and gave me a lot of praise for it...it was hard to tell them everyone does that. Cutting the door was a big turning point in feeling like I would finish. I had a little door spring but not enough cause a problem. I cut near the seam but not on it. Based on my understanding of how tanks are manufactured, this is the spot that should have the least tension on it and therfore spring the least.
48272668-B25D-46E2-AFAE-E3858B5CE19A.jpeg

C48002C2-918C-46E8-B21E-1824618F0EC8.jpeg

F441692F-3FDB-417C-94C1-0E7F3ED5038C.jpeg

The plenum was a big challenge. I wanted it to be a different style but felt this was the best I could do with my limited skills. Welding still ugly but progressing--it was a big relief to get the welds more-or-less airtight on the first try, even if they are pretty ugly. Cutting with a 5 inch hole saw took forever; 30 minutes in and it was only half done. I ended up cutting the hole with my angle grinder and using the halfway cut from the holesaw has a groove to place the chimney. This ended up actually working pretty well.

B963F038-746F-45D6-9F4D-D045063F4595.jpeg

00904799-CF14-49AE-9DC5-3DDF5162A6A5.jpeg

0AC177BB-DBFF-4E01-8BCB-11C976B06B07.jpeg

E2B60AF7-19BC-4098-8AF5-9BBF53221EAC.jpeg

Joining the tanks was obviously the hardest part. I ended up cutting the holes progressively larger until they fit together and even then had to patch a couple places with scrap metal where one hole was misshapen. It took a few days of work to cut little by little but it was worth it. A plasma cutter would’ve been great, but regardless of cutting tool, finding the right shape was just hard. I also spent a few days welding these together. I mostly did the welding inside the CC tank because it was hard to access all the way around on the outside.
2BD36C56-F8B4-45D0-B8BC-2FECF5C84731.jpeg

The grates were easy and satisfying to make. I made two and built both in about an hour. The rails in the inside of the chamber were hard to get level—because of the placement I couldn't weld them on the bottom side, so the welds are all on the top and had to be very solid.
B93BE6D9-F799-405E-BDAE-1615CF4045BD.jpeg
I wanted to put one thermometer on either side of the door because I thought it looked good that way and also because i liked the idea of mounting on the fixed wall of the smoker versus the movable door. At the last second, I decided to mount in the middle of the door. My reasoning was that the temperature of the smoke that is about to exit the smokestack (and is therefore already past the meat) doesn't matter as much as the temperature of the air that is about to approach the meat. Because I made the decision late and didn't plan for it well, the thermometer in the door is about 1/4 inch higher than the other one.
168A664F-86DD-4419-9F09-BA281EB3E97D.jpeg
This is the nearly-finished smoker moved onto the trailer. I got the trailer for $150 on craigslist. It was homemade by someone with a car axle and welding skills not much better than mine. I took the top rail down on the sides for easier access and removed floorboards in the back so the firebox wont catch the floor on fire.
751FE1D4-0137-443F-9C2D-37D7520BF8EE.jpeg

Initial burn-out. The inside of the tanks were rusty and had a layer of grease along with something that looked/felt like clay in the bottom. We got the fire raging up to ~700 F. The dials in the picture here have gone around once already. The paint burned off the outside and the inside cleaned up nicely too. While the fire was raging, there was some smoke leaking out of the doors, but once it reduced under 300, there were no issues with that, so I don't think I need to seal the doors any further. A lot of the smoke in this picture is just from the burning paint.

I haven't cooked anything yet, but once it was heated up, I was getting 5 degree difference on my thermometers, which I think is a good sign. It probably indicates there is 10-15 degree differential end-to-end. I can live with that.

Attachments

• BC099CF7-00D0-4287-8125-3F01F30A9321.jpeg
    BC099CF7-00D0-4287-8125-3F01F30A9321.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 22
Here is a list of some of the things I learned/ some of the pieces of information I looked for when I was reading other posts in preparation for this. No particular order.
1. Outlining the cook chamber door was actually really hard. Get a wide, flexible measuring tape. I didn't have one of these, but I think it would have helped making straight lines around the tank.
2. The cheap stick welder I got from Amazon totally worked. 220V Direct current stick welder for $140. Make sure you have 220V hookup and the right plug for it. I tried a number of rods and stuck with 1/8 inch 6013 honestly just because it is what I was using when i started to get the hang of welding. 7018 or 6010 probably would have worked fine as well.
3. Some dude at the metal supply store who sounded like a professional welder told me that I'd never be able to pull the project off with no experience. He predicted I'd burn holes through the tank, which is about 3/16, which he deemed "too thin." It turned out totally fine. Ignore anyone who tells you that you need an expensive welder or a lot of experience.
4. I did not add a deflector plate where the fb meets the cc because the curve of the fb seemed to accomplish this pretty well. I also have a pretty long firebox, so I can build the fire back from the entrance to the cook chamber. My temps are pretty close end-to-end, so I think the current set-up is working well.
5. The 3 inch tel-tru thermometers look sort of big/goofy on my smaller smoker. If there was a smaller option, I would get that.
6. I used the Feldman Central calculator a lot, but didn't treat it as gospel. My air intake, fb/cc opening and smokestack were all bigger than suggested. I did this based on Aaron Franklin's comments about convection and the high desirability of strong airflow. AF doesn't always get love in bbq forums, but Anthony Bourdain, Daniel Vaughn and PBS all say he's the best in the world and that counts for something.
7. For my CC door handle I used a horseshoe cut in half and a hollow square tube. Even when the cooker was at 300 F, the handle is cool to the touch. I see it as a big bonus to not wear gloves every time you have to open it. The 1/2 horseshoe lets the handle sit below the rim of the door, so when you open the door it doesn't hit your wrist and burn you.
8. I tried several types of cut-off wheels for my angle grinder and the thinnest disposable ones were by far the best. They burned up fast, but made the cutting work much easier. The diamond blade sucked and made me feel like giving up.
9. I used my hinges because they were available to ship via amazon prime. That was a mistake. They were not well suited for this task and made everything a lot harder. I would recommend fabricating hinges from tube and rod like many others do.

I give you a truck load of points for taking this on and following through. I do not have a shop to speak off but like build threads. Job well done so far , keep up posting as you go along.

Last edited:
Reactions: howyegettinon
Nice. I've got an eighty gallon tank I need to do something with. Trying to cut my teeth on a cheap offset first. I will be referencing this.

For your first build with limited experience, I think you did a great job!
Looking forward to seeing some meat in there!
Nice work!
Al

I totally agree with SmoklinAl. Great job for first build. What I liked reading though this was the research you did to help make right choices. Welding only gets better with practice and no better way to practice is building smokers! Looking forward seeing more pictures. Thanks for sharing.

As a fabricator/welder by trade here are some tips for you. Always get some scrap the same thickness your going to weld and use that to set your heat. Stick welding is hard to learn, and out of position welding the hardest. You mentioned a "flat tape would have been nice to have, either a sewing tape, or a little 1/4" wide x 6' tape measure work well for that, other wise use a 50' tape for something large. .045" cut wheels are my choice, I like the Sait brand, they seem to last pretty long. As to your plenum, if you would have ground a bevel on both parts to give you a vee, it will aid not only in strength, but some where for your weld to go. Also 6013 and 7018 are DC positive drag rods... meaning your stinger will be hooked up to the positive side and ground to the negative and you strike your arc and drag them. Good job on your first project! Any questions drop me a PM and I'd be more than happy to help you.

-BCS

this is awesome. I also built my own smoker from a 25 gallon air compressor tank and some scrap steel. Had zero experience welding and picked up a cheap flux core welder from harbor freight and learned on the fly. Just came across an 80 gallon tank and am about to undertake a similar build. well done man!

Just read your thread and then read aloud to wife your first post. . I just like hearing when guys step out and try something they have never done before. I am no way a skilled fabricator but I get by. Awsome job.

Not only is it an excellent write up of a great first build, but I love that you are actually learning to weld, rather than just drive a “metal-spitting-hot-glue-gun”.

Any place with a dryer outlet is now somewhere you can fix things that most guys can’t.

Strong work.

Now, if you keep your eyes peeled, you can find a #17 TIG torch with a valve, a tank that you can exchange for an argon bottle at the local gas supplier, and a regulator, and with your DC machine, (now scratch-start capable) you’ll be able to cause more trouble than you ever dreamed.

You are doing it right.

You should be proud!

fair balls for taking this one while learning how to weld and fabricate!
One thing on your cutting discs, do not use any pressure what so ever when cutting and move the disc up and down the cut to keep the heat down, your disc can last probably about x2-x3 times longer id say. Also don't drop the disc into the cut, keep it only about 2-5 mm into the cut

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky