1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Tortellini salad

Discussion in 'Veggies' started by Steve H, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Steve H

Steve H Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Making a favorite salad of ours. I dreamed this up years ago. And we have it occasionally.

P9163075.jpg

I use 1 pound of cheese tortellini. Cook it per package directions. Then rinse/cool. Then add fresh Basil to it. I don't measure. About 15 leaves I guess. I cut up Roma tomatoes. As many as you like. I do not add them until I'm ready to serve it. I don't like how they get if there is leftovers for the next day. As much red onion as you like. For the meat. I'll make a large batch of Teriyaki chicken for various meals ahead of time. Simple recipe. Teriyaki and boneless, skinless breasts. Let it marinate for 24 yours. I used 4 breasts for this. The dressing is again quite simple.
    1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Add half dozen ripped basil leaves to it. And let it rest for 30 minutes.

P9163076.jpg

Touch early for me. But it's 5:00 somewhere!

P9163080.jpg

Mixed up. And into the fridge. Tonight's menu is burgers and the salad. Nothing fancy with the burgers. Smash burgers on onion roll.

2. xray

xray Master of the Pit

That looks delicious Steve! Very pretty tortellini salad!

3. Steve H

Thank you!

4. SmokinVOLfan

SmokinVOLfan Master of the Pit

That looks great Steve! Nice call on the Stella too. I like one every once in awhile

5. Steve H

I used to be a Yuengling fan until I tried one of these. Thanks for the like!

6. b-one

b-one Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

Looks tasty, a nice pesto works as a nice dressing if you need to switch it up.

Steve H likes this.
  7. Wow, really nice Steve!

I am a tortellini fan myself so I need to try this.

Another one for the list....

John

Steve H likes this.
  8. SecondHandSmoker

SecondHandSmoker Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Heck Steve, your salad sounds like a delicious meal all by itself.

Steve H likes this.
  9. cmayna

cmayna Master of the Pit OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Love this idea. Wife looked at it and said yum. I kinda think just the mushrooms, basil & noodle might be a killer itself.

Steve H likes this.
  10. Steve H

We've done that before. It is pretty filling.

11. Steve H

I've thought about that. But the wife doesn't like Pesto. I could separate some. And do that though. Next time I'll try that!

12. tropics

tropics Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Nice job on the salad great idea adding the meat,I've had with the shrooms before and sometime with broccolli
    Richie

Steve H likes this.
  13. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Oh yea!
    I could eat that whole bowl!
    Al

Steve H likes this.
  14. Holly2015

Holly2015 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Yeah but it was probably Yuengling Lager. The locals like myself are blessed with access to Yuengling Premium, Lord Chesterfield Ale and Porter.

The salad looks great and if'en you don't mind I'm going to borrow this recipe and make it for my better 1/2 and kiddo when they return from the beach.

Like for sure!

15. Steve H

I don't mind at all. I hope you and your's enjoy it!

16. tx smoker

tx smoker Master of the Pit

Damn Steve....that looks REAL good. I'm planning burgers tonight and may have to make a run to our little grocery store to get some 'shrooms. Fantastic looking salad ad a big LIKE!!

Adding another salad to the rotation,
    Robert

17. tx smoker

tx smoker Master of the Pit

LANCE!! Great to see you. It's been a while...or maybe I'm just not hanging out in the right places :emoji_laughing: How you been? Side note....I made your steak and spinach last week for dinner again. We sure do love that stuff!!

Robert

18. Steve H

Hey all. That bowl in the picture isn't mushrooms. It is the teriyaki chicken. I don't put mushrooms in this. I brought this to work. And people thought the same thing. When I do the chicken. I let the marinade cook down with the bird. Which causes the thick color on the outside. It does look like shrooms though.

19. uncle eddie

uncle eddie Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Was just looking at some shrink-wrapped, cooked teriyaki chicken breast that I saw in the deep freeze...now I know what to do with it. Like!