Tori42

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tori42

Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
wisconsin
Hi! I'm new.

I got a smoker last Christmas ,and yes I'm a bad person I haven't tried it out yet.Actually, today I'm going to use it.I was wondering  how long to smoke venison summer sausage?

Tori,

welcome to SMF!

I do not make sausage but there are lots of folks here that do. Someone will be along to help ya out soon.

I do know that most of us smoke to temp. and not time.

Tori42

Here is my summer sausage smoking method. Preheat smoker to 130º, then put sausage in for 1 hour (this is drying time so the sausage will accept smoke). Then add smoke and turn up to 150º for 2 hours. At this point I am happy with the amount of smoke the sausage has taken in and turn up the smoker to the 170º to 190º area until the internal meat temperature of the summer sausage reaches 155º. At this point remove the summer sausage and if the summer sausage is stuffed into casings put them into an ice cold water bath immediately till they are cooled down. The water bath will give the summer sausage a much better appearance without wrinkles in the casing.

I am unsure what type of smoker you have, but do yourself and the summer sausage a favor and spend some time getting use to controlling temperatures with the smoker before diving straight into doing summer sausage. I am not saying this is rocket science, just season the smoker and do a few easier projects like pork butt for some pulled pork or smoke a meatloaf. Those projects are more temperature forgiving than summer sausage and will give you time to know your smoker like an old pro !!!

Oh ya, welcome to SMF and remember; we love to see pics of smokers and the food you make !!!

Welcome to the SMF, you'll enjoy the friendly and helpful folks who gather here. Be sure and season your smoker before actually using it to smoke any food. It's all good my friend.

Thank you for the information.

I did find someplace that said to run them under cold water after taking them out.I did that and then put them in freezer bags and directly into the freezer.I did leave one out and put it in the frig for later today.Total time in the smoker was 4 hours. The internal temp was 155 when I took them out.

Thanks again.

Tori

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
icon_cool.gif

Welcome to the SMF!!

There are a lot of really great people here who give really great advice!!  There's even a whole section dedicated JUST to sausage, if that's your thing.

I admit, I'd never have thought I was going to use my smoker as much as I do now. So many great ideas!

-Princess

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Tori to SMF. you'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

I did find a nice little cookbook while shopping today. It's called Cookshack   Get Smokin'. Nice book, just a glance through it has a bunch of tastey looking recipes and also says the best wood to use for each, has temps and time charts brine and cure recipes. Think I'm going to like this book.

Tori42

Welcome aboard Tori! Nice to have another chicklet around here! There are some great people who can answer any of your questions and offer very sound advice. Don't forget to show us lots of pictures, we are a visual bunch!

How many regular chickies are there? You, me, Cowgirl, Tori42...

-Princess
Welcome aboard Tori! Nice to have another chicklet around here! There are some great people who can answer any of your questions and offer very sound advice. Don't forget to show us lots of pictures, we are a visual bunch!

Oh Hi Princess! I must have missed your intro, sorry!  Also, there's Mrs. B. she's nice. Chicklets rule!

Tori,

Welcome to a Great place!

The ladies on this forum are some of our best smokers!

We love Qview !

Bearcarver

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky