Top vent on the MES 30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sonnyhad

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 28, 2011
Hi everyone, 

I just did my first smoke with my new unit, I did ribs. I read that the temp isn't always the temp you set it at, but, I set it at 275 thinking it would be cooler than that, but, I don't think it was. The ribs got done too soon. I didn't have the vent at the top opened too much at all, and later thought, hmm. Maybe you're supposed to have it open to allow the wood chips to burn better. Duh, that only makes sense! I'd like to know if that's really the case? Or, do you leave it slightly open to keep the heat in?  I could keep testing and possibly ruining some meat in the process, or just ask here! 

My ribs didn't turn out too bad, but were a tad dry and not too much smoke. I'm undergoing Chemo right now and have little energy, so I thought this electric smoker would fit the bill instead of my firebox wood smoker. Which is a chore to keep the temp right. 

Any help here would be appreciated. 

Oh, also, do you guys use water, and if so, with what meats? 

The amazing smoker, what is favorable the pellet smoker or the dust smoker?

Thanks, 

Sonny

Sonny, mornin'. Hang in there with the chemo, a lot of my friends are here today because of it.

About the MES. I always have the top damper wide open. Lets out excess moisture that I think can cause sour tasting smoke. I never use water, same reason. A good pelicle seals the meat and helps keeps in natural moisture. Just my opinion. There is no "wrong" way to smoke meat. Find a method you like and go with it.

The MES therms are usually off. High and low from what others have said.

You need some sort of cabled therm to track the temp of the smoker and another cabled therm to track the internal temp of the meat. Cooking time is judged by meat temp.

The AMNS & AMNPS are valuable tools to the meat smoker. They provide consistent smoke regardless of the smoker temperature. I think one or the other is worth its price over and over again.

As far as more smoke in the meat, try smoking for 2 hrs at 110 deg F. then turn smoker to 210 or so and continue smoking. Getting the temp of the meat to 140 within 4 hours is a practice that helps to inhibit bacterial growth and make for a safe products.

There are many variations of the method I just stated. Someone should come along and provide additional direction.

In the mean time, click on "FORUMS" on the tool bar and search the other forums for specific answers to more questions.

Hope the upcoming days go well for you.

Dave

Hey Sonny,

My MES runs a little "Hot", but the actual temp varies on each rack.

I set my controller to about 211° to get 225° on the middle racks.

I do not use water in the water pan, but some guys do use water.

If you're thinking about getting an AMNS or AMNPS, you need to decide if you're going to use it for "Cold Smoking", "Hot Smoking" or "Both"

The AMNPS can be used for "Cold Smoking" and performs much better during "Hot Smoking" than the AMNS.  You can burn either Pellets or Sawdust in the New AMNPS.

Todd

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky