Top Sirloin Steaks S/V

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Braz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 25, 2017
Indiana
The grocery had a sale on "top sirloin steaks" last week and even though I'm not a big fan of sirloin steak I decided to give it a whirl with the sous vide/sear method and see what we could get. They were thinner than I would like, about 3/4" but ya get what you got.
In the vac bag with no seasoning. Usually I salt and season at this point but trying it this way this time.
DSC_1485.jpg

And into the bath at 130F for 8 hours. My S/V lives in the barn/shop/man cave so as not to take up any of SWMBO's precious counter space.
DSC_1488.jpg

After 8 hours I shock cooled them to around 70F then seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic.
DSC_1490.jpg

Then onto a screaming hot (450-500F) griddle for a good sear - about a minute or minute and a half per side.
DSC_1492.jpg

Money shot.
DSC_1493.jpg

Had these with a baked sweet potato and a side salad. The steaks turned out pretty good. I'm still trying to fine that sous vide sweet spot where the meat becomes nicely tender but does not move into a "mushy" texture range. These were just a little toward that area but not bad. I think I'll try sirloin again with maybe 4 hours in the bath. Suggestions welcome, as always.

Looks real good Braz. I know what you mean about the texture. From my experience 2-3 hours on a lean steak like that does the trick. Then a super hot and fast sear. Any longer in the SV and it starts to get to a "roast" type texture.

Reactions: chopsaw
I agree . 2 1/2 to 3 hours on a steak that thickness .
I know it was good though . Thanks for posting .

Reactions: Sowsage
Nice work Braz, looks good! I like to SV at 127º for two hours, three hours if going straight from the freezer into the SV pot. I used to sear in a CI skillet, at least 600º for about 45 seconds a side. I quit that over a year ago and now sear with a weed blow torch until it looks exactly the way I want. every once in awhile I'll gob some garlic infused butter onto the steak right before the sear, it works! RAY

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks Great, Braz!!
That's a good one to SV---Tough most ways I've done them.
Like.

Bear

Thanks for the responses. Next time I will try around 3 hours in the bath and see if that gets me where I want to be.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky