Top mounted heating element with convection fan MES mod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

askel

Original poster
Nov 16, 2022
Hello everybody,
I'm new here but not a complete newbie to smoking and sausage making.
I've been making sausages for few years but always dreamed of better way of cooking and smoking them. Usually I use my oven to do cooking and smoke sausages once cooking is done using simple spiral smoker filled with sawdust. It does work but it isn't perfect as smoking supposed to be an integral part of cooking.
Long story short. I found this site and decided to buy cheap smoker and modify it to my needs, e.g. add precise temperature control + convection.
I've seen people replacing stock thermostat of a smoker with PID to achieve desired temperature control precision. And there are some info on adding a convection. But what I actually want to get is:
* Completely remove bottom mounted stock heating element
* Install convection fan with integrated heating element like that on top surface of a smoker
WPW10210594-Whirlpool-Range-Convection-Fan-Assembly.jpg

* Use PID for temp control

So basically the idea is to get rid of bottom mounted heater and related problems like dripping on heating element and achieve more even temperature inside smoker. I'm just wondering if anybody already made such a mod.

Thank you,
Alex

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard

askel

Original poster
Nov 16, 2022
I've ordered all I need to complete that project. Stay tuned...

askel

Original poster
Nov 16, 2022
It looks like I'm gonna need to force hot air down. Couple of metal sheets on each side of a smoker should do that.

Although I'd first test it as is and deal with problems as they happen.

Latest posts