Too musch smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What are you smoking with? Chips, lumps, pellets, logs, dust? What type of unit and what kind of meat is "too strong"?

WC

ace, morning and welcome to the forum.....  WC has you on the right track....   Please fill in your profile so we can better help you when the time arises....   

Some things I add smoke for 1-2 hours... others I smoke for 10-12 hours....  woods like mesquite I add for maybe 15 minutes to 30 minutes to other milder woods in the smoke generator....  It all becomes personal preference and type of food being smoked....  Dave

What does the smoke look like coming out of the smoker? Billowing and white or thin and blue?

My wife says I am getting too strong of a smoke flavor. Any suggestions?
I see this is your first post so 
welcome1.gif
 to SMF!!! Would you do us a favor and go over to "Roll Call" and formally introduce yourself so we can get to know you and also add your location to your profile, Thanks!

Billowing and white.

Yep that's your problem. You want TBS, thin blue smoke or even no smoke just the smell of smoke coming out of the smoker. Thick white billowing smoke can form creosote on the meat and cause an over smoked bitter taste.

Tell us more about your setup so we can help you get the prized TBS. What kind of smoker? What kind of wood, sticks, chunks, chips? How much you are using?

It's a Tejas smoker. Firebox on the end. 1/4 in thick steel. Good heavy smoker, Just no experience smoking prior to this. I have been starting my fire with oak. Use that to get a good coal bed. Then I put 2 or 3 hickory logs on top. Smokes like crazy. Don't know how to cut down the smoke. Advice would be appreciated.

put 1/4 of a hickory log on top.... dry the wood inside the smoker before putting in the firebox.... or on top of the fire box...  split firewood into 2" x  2" x ??" pieces....    Dave

If you are using 2 or 3 logs, cut back one or two logs and see if that helps . cut back one, if still too much smoke, then adjust to find your taste . Good luck and welcome to SMF !!!

Ace Welcome to SMF. I don't have a stick burner, but from my experience with my smoker, 2-3 hickory logs would be way too much smoke. Try what DaveOmak and the others have said and try using smaller chunks to. If you need more help just ask and we'll help you get it figured out. Don't get discouraged, it's a learning experience for everyone.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky