Too much smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin cooter

Original poster
Jul 11, 2016
Wisconsin
I have a Summit Charcoal and I understand to get the thin blue smoke before putting the meat on. My question is how to keep that thin blue smoke as new wood chunks ignite? I use 2-3 Western brand wood chunks and everytime a new chunk takes off I get 20 minutes or so of heavy smoke. I put one a little closer to the fire so it takes off a little sooner and the the other 2 around the outside of the bowl. Have tried burying them in the charcoal and also setting them on top. Also use mainly royal oak but have also tried Kamado Joe charcoal if that matters. If you need any more info to help diagnose, just let me know. Any ideas?

I have come to the conclusion that this is just part of the process. I also stressed about this a lot in my charcoal cabinet. I’ve come to the conclusion that the short periods of heavier smoke don’t hurt anything. I have switched to trying to put a few larger chunks of wood to minimize adding. Interested in hearing others comments on this. Great question!

Reactions: smokin cooter
You can’t get around it. As new fuel burns, be it charcoal or wood, the initial smoke From the newly ignited fuel won’t be thin blue smoke. Some people with stick burners will warm up their wood splits before adding them. Others use a burn barrel and use the hot coals from it.

Ive really come to the conclusion that white smokes not always the devil. I always have some at the beginning of a lot of my cooks for a half hour or more and always any time I add a wood chunk or two. The only time I think it really comes into play is if you are doing a short cook on smaller items. For example once I did brats and the white smoke definitely over whelmed and gave it an ash taste. Longer cooks like butts , briskets etc. it’s never hurt my flavors. There’s a great older thread here on this. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/understanding-smoke-management-updated-12-08-14.139474/

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky