Too much curing salt in wet ham cure.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Vinny216

Original poster
Apr 6, 2023
I've been curing my first run of hams this week intending to make them for Easter. I just realized after 5 days of soaking in the wet cure that instead of using 9 tsp for a 9 lb ham I used 9 tbls. Can I salvage tthis ham with a long soak in clean water to reduce the nitrate level or did I just bomb on my first ham? I realize that if I soak it long enough to reduce the sodium nitrate levels, I will also be removing the sugar and other added flavors. I'm more concerned with the safety factor of reducing nitrates to a safe level. I can always inject the ham before cooking to re-introduce flavor.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

9 tablespoons for a 9lb ham is way to much cure but so is 9 teaspoons. What kind of curing salt did you use and how much water? Full recipe and method please then everyone can help you safely understand curing for the future

I used #1 Prague powder to 1 and ½ gallons of water. My recipe called for 7 tsp curing salt and 2 cops of kosher salt for a 7 lb ham and to soak for 1 day per 2lbs. Sugar and seasonings as well. I soaked for 5 days with the intention to soak over night in clean water to reduce sodium. Smoking it Saturday to reheat on Sunday.

Need to know the process you used. Was this a brine or a dry rub? If a brine, how much liquid was used?

Need to know the process you used. Was this a brine or a dry rub? If a brine, how much liquid was used?
1 and ½ gallons of water. Boiled 2 quarts of water to dissolve salt. Combined with 1 gallon of ice water to cool. Submerged ham, put lid on container and refrigerated for 5 days.

1 and ½ gallons of water. Boiled 2 quarts of water to dissolve salt. Combined with 1 gallon of ice water to cool. Submerged ham, put lid on container and refrigerated for 5 days.
This is a “hot” brine. Your cure #1 is high but workable. However, this type of brine requires you to remove from brine after about 4 days then rest for at least another week for the “curing” process or equalization. You don’t have time for that before Easter, and no, the ham will not be cured without the additional rest time, I would suggest 2 weeks more.

You can save this ham as I have explained with time, but you are a bust for a Easter ham. If you soak it out now, the cure will not penetrate to the center and the meat will be grey. That would be a fail. It still may fail with the added 2 weeks of rest but will be closer to cured. These old cure methods were hit and miss. You would be well advised to buy a ham for this Easter and then learn the process to make a successful ham.

Ask here on the forum for ham cure recipes. They will involve injection and will be much less difficult than the recipe that you used. For the time frame this is a fail.

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky