Tones Spices

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mulepackin

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 27, 2007
Central Montana
I've never had to buy in the volume that Tones has available at Sams Cub. I've got to do a large amount of meat this summer for my dtrs. wedding and considering using Tones Spice products for my rub. Those of you that have used Tones, are you happy with the quality, obviously the price is pretty good.

Thats what the wife and I get. No complaints. We only buy the larger containers of the more common ones we use like black pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder. I think everything else is in smaller bottles as they don't get used as much in our cooking and don't go stale.

I love them that's all I use.

Much cheaper than buying a few oz of some crap in a aluminum pouch like MC Cormicks and other brands.

I like them, and they have a plant just down the road, freind gets employee discounts for me.

I use them with no complaints other than grinding your own fresh I think they are all pretty close from the different ones I've used

We have used them and liked them. You get a lot more bang for your buck with them.

Love em. Sometimes I think their peppercorns may be a little mild, but then again I really like a stout black pepper, the wife thinks they are hot!

I stopped buying all brands of store bought shelf spices ever since I discovered the difference in flavor and freshness I get from the product I buy through the www.spicehouse.com I am slowly eliminating previously store bought spices such as Tones, McCormick etc. from my spice rack. When I need a replacement it now comes from the Spice House.
I have really noticed a difference in my smoking and cooking by using these spices. The flavor is much more pronounced.
Yes it's more expensive, but the trade off in flavor and freshness is well worth it in imo.

In addition to spices the Spice House carrys some very nice blends and rubs that are specific to bbq'ing and smoking along with fresh herbs that I would never find in any store here. As a bonus their customer service is fantastic.

I've been using Tone's for 20 years (ever since our Sam's Club opened here). They have always had the best price and have always seemed to be fresh.

Use them all the time....have gotten some better (fresher) spices here and there but with that cost I will just add a bit more as they get a bit older. Some things they don't have but what they do is good quality and a great price..IMHO of course.

They're not the best money can buy, bu there's nothing wrong with most of their stuff. Most of it's made right here in Des Moines, IA. Ankeny, a suburb, actually

I too have used Tones for years, with no complaints. I know there are fresher, better spices available out there, but not at the price.

Ron P , You used to be my hero (LOL)
But i have my doubts about anyone who uses gravy mixes.
GOTTA MAKE A ROUX!

I only buy the Tones when I can go thru that amount in 9 months or so. All of my other spices I get in bulk ( enough for a small jar) from the WinCo or I also buy the small clear packets in the Mexican section of Albertsons. I just keep the jars or buy the few new ones I need at WinCo. That way I always have fresh spices at a reasonable price

Thanks for the replies guys. Paprika especially, seems to go fast when making rubs, I have no doubt I'll use up these containers over the summer, what with the nuptials and all.

icon_wink.gif

When I do use them it is a supplement to my stock, as a thickner.

As far as roux is concerned I use corn starch for a better looking product and no flour taste.

Never had a good dark roux taste like flour . But i have tasted some that others did that screamed martha white.
Never used corn startch.
My wife will not make a roux she uses the jar stuff. She says i am not standing at the stove stirring a pot of flour and oil for 30 min just to cook something else with it.

I agree with her, starch is so easy and fool proof. Try it some time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky