Tomato based foods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Blasphemy, I know, but I do tomato based chili in the crock pot. I also have an enamel covered dutch oven like Jed mentioned and sometimes do it in that, but it's usually the crock pot.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Crock pot here, but I'll smoke/grill the individual ingredients before combining them into the pot.

Chris

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I have a set of Revere ware Pots and pans pre 1986 . I usually use the dutch oven from that , but I also use my 4 quart lodge . My opinion is a batch of chili is not going to hurt that cast iron if you remove to a bowl after cooking and clean the cast iron right away .

I know it's a thing though . Here's a Wagner I got from my Mom's house . Ate a lot of tomato based meals from this pan growing up .
This is how I got it ( found it by mistake in the garage ) , and you can certainly see the effects of cooking with tomatoes .
1669725393879.jpeg
Same pan today after I cleaned it up . I use it now and then for tomato based foods , but like I said , I don't let the food sit in the pan . I clean it and re oil right away .
1669725487462.jpeg

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
getting it out of pot quickly.
You could make something , but Lodge also sells a rubber horseshoe clip that goes on the edge / side of the dutch oven so it leaves a 1/4 " gap when you put the lid on . It's for storage . Helps keep the inside aired out .

We have a big S/S pot we use on the cooktop.
I use smoked meat in the chili, so smoking it would make it too smoky.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky