Tomahawks and Leeks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TNJAKE

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 26, 2019
Ridgetop TN🇺🇸
Morning fellas and non fellas. Felt quite a bit better yesterday so figured getting some beef into my bloodstream would help carry me the rest of the way to getting well. It worked!

Had these 2 tomahawks. 3lbs each! I dry brined them in the fridge for 2 hours each side using coarse kosher salt
IMG_20200811_165135.jpg
IMG_20200811_165142.jpg

Steaks are huge. After the dry brine I rubbed with my beef rub and some coarse granulated garlic
IMG_20200811_173106.jpg

Had some leeks. Rubbed with olive oil and some wicked good salt(salt,pepper,garlic,ginger)
IMG_20200811_173113.jpg
IMG_20200812_083415.jpg

Had the smoker running at 225 using pecan. Put the steaks and leeks on
IMG_20200811_173246.jpg

Smoked these until IT was 120 took a little over an hour. Pulled them off while I got my sear flame going then threw the steaks back on
IMG_20200811_190228.jpg

Good sear on both sides. Pulled off at 130ish
IMG_20200811_190835.jpg
IMG_20200811_190821.jpg

Tented with foil for a 10min rest. Wish I would have tented separate as they were so hot together the carryover made my steaks more medium. We prefer med rare. Oh well still delicious lol
IMG_20200811_192837.jpg

Missed the plated shot. Was starving but we had baked taters and the leeks on the side. Leeks were perfect with the tomahawks. Was a great meal. Washed it down with multiple shiner bocks

Dang jake! Great job on the sear! Glad to hear your on the up swing of feeling better!

Jake for a sick man you sure are throwing up some good looking cooks. Glad your feeling some better.
jim

Awesome looking steaks! Gotta try leeks that way for sure. Have to have some beers, to help get over that shot...unless they used a smaller needle than the last time I got a shot!

Ryan

Awesome looking steaks! Gotta try leeks that way for sure. Have to have some beers, to help get over that shot...unless they used a smaller needle than the last time I got a shot!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan. Leeks done that way are delicious. And yeah those shots hurt but at least that way it's one and done versus taking antibiotics 2x a day for 10 days lol

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Glad to see you are feeling better.

Those steaks look tight!! Beautiful sear too. I like leeks, i will have to try them this way.

Awesome!!
Looks Great, Jake!!
3 pounds each---LOL that Prime Rib I posted a few days ago was only 2 1/2 pounds!!!
Nice Job!!
Glad your Getting All Better, along with the rest of the Family!!
Like.

Bear

Holy Mary, mother of God Jake!! First off, congrats on being on the mend. A lot of folks have been really concerned for you and your family. Now to those steaks buddy...those are perfection!! At least the cut shot appears to be perfectly cooked but holy smoke...that sear!! You nailed those babies!! Great job.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky