Tomahawk & Imperial Diner Party

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
It’s my favorite time of year for soups and over the top diner parties🤣 We had some friends over that we were stationed with in years past and I decided to go with surf n turf to justify large quantities of wine. The decision was Maryland Style Jumbo Lump Crab Imperial, but smoked, and a couple Ribeye Tomahawks, reverse seared. Pretty simple meal for the decadence meter to be pegged, added some duck fat fried Maitake shrooms for toppings and a béarnaise sauce to French it up a bit more🤣

For Lump Crab Imperial:
  • 1 LBS JUMBO LUMP CRAB (I used a canned Maryland wild caught)
  • 1/2 CUP MAYO (I used Dukes)
  • 1 TSP WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
  • 1 TBSP MELTED BUTTER
  • 1 TSP LEMON JUICE
  • 1/4 ONION MINCED
  • 2 TSP OLD BAY
  • 1/2 TSP GROUND MUSTARD
  • 1 EGG
  • 1/2 TSP PARSLEY MINCED PLUS MORE FOR GARNISH
Direction:
  • Preheat smoker to 300 degrees.
  • Place the crab in a large bowl.
  • Mix the mayo, Worcestershire, butter, and lemon juice in a separate bowl.
  • Add the minced onion keep mixing.
  • Then Mix in 1 teaspoon of the Old Bay and the ground mustard to combine.
  • Followed by the beaten egg to combine and the parsley.
  • Add the mayo mixture to the bowl with the crab, folding gently to not break up the crab meat.
  • Spoon into a small 6” CI skillet. (I didn’t have 6 inch CI skillet so foiled outside of a oven safe casserole dish for protection instead)
  • Place in smoker, sprinkle top with Paprika, and cook for 30 to 40 minutes until the crab imperial is golden and bubbling.
  • When ready, remove to cool for 5 minutes.
  • Garnish with some Old Bay and minced parsley or chives.

059C7DED-9E01-4140-B354-BC4F00FF3880.jpeg

For the Tomahawks, Salted the night before:
15A0141F-EE70-43CB-92C6-B1F27A2E95AA.jpeg

Day off, out to get to room temp, then onto smoker at 275. A bit of rain was coming in and hectic around the house so I went with the Traeger instead of BelFab.
9C8616EC-8B1E-4CCB-9A66-05F38E9DF1C8.jpeg

Once It was at 120 pulled to rest for a while, cracked up the smoker to 300 for crab and got the Weber going to sear the steaks.
BC1DF325-0B35-4204-BF9F-0A5114A7B323.jpeg

Seared the steaks over hot coals! My Boy always wants to help🤣
0F34E128-75A1-409C-8817-BA3932811328.jpeg

4836EDBA-3E1A-4FE2-98E7-26A634B1D612.jpeg

B8F4B50E-3EDF-42CA-841D-4D7E5BDCD84F.jpeg
D62E7D5B-87BD-4724-9EB8-D10C9C4D6411.jpeg

Cheese and sausage apps and some mushroom soup while steaks rested and crab cooled.
BED866BE-70C2-4655-B5A9-C4A162640F24.jpeg
081F6321-E161-42B3-AB51-032A166E5998.jpeg

After some wine and cheese, all set to slice and eat!
2441CD09-E816-4E7A-9AE6-060A42882B95.jpeg
D200656B-C93A-43FC-A297-E4A886903981.jpeg
A082CBF0-B609-46BB-BD0A-F03351B8725F.jpeg

Plate shot with all the good stuff!
2229B471-1B8D-4753-9BB1-5602AABE6A7E.jpeg

Great night with friends and incredible food, once again, thanks to SMF! Thank you for your time!

It really looks good Jed, and a good way to spend time with old buddies.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: bauchjw
HOLY COW!! That is one incredible, drool-worthy, carousel ride if ever there was one. A truly magnificent meal Jed and without doubt, one of the finest I've ever seen posted here. Excellent job my friend!!

Robert

Good Lord Jed!! That is a meal I would just devour. Perfect char on the steak and the crab imperial is something you’d have to pry me away from. Great meal.

It really looks good Jed, and a good way to spend time with old buddies.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you Chris! It’s always awesome to break bread with old friends, drink to much and tell the same stories, but with new embellishments🤣 Since SMF, my food service has improved quite a bit🤣
Looks pretty fantastic from my screen. Wholey smokes I bet that all was delicious. Very nice work Jed.
Thank you Sir! There wasn’t a lot leftover, but two bones and a few empty bottles🤣
Wow! Everything looks fantastic!
Thank you KC! It tasted amazing!
Awesome looking feast!! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you! It was a great meal!
HOLY COW!! That is one incredible, drool-worthy, carousel ride if ever there was one. A truly magnificent meal Jed and without doubt, one of the finest I've ever seen posted here. Excellent job my friend!!

Robert
Thank you Robert, you have me blushing again🤣 you guys have taught me lot!

My Goodness!! I need some crab imperial in my life right now! Excellent job Jed.
Thank you Ray! The Crab Imperial was awesome. It was my first time trying it and we loved it. Pretty simple to make too, which was a bonus🤣
That's epic, Jed!! WOW is all I can say...
Thank you! It was pretty awesome, I appreciate the compliments!
Good Lord Jed!! That is a meal I would just devour. Perfect char on the steak and the crab imperial is something you’d have to pry me away from. Great meal.
Thank you Jeff! I appreciate the compliments. I was really happy with how the steaks came out!
Jed, nothing to say but ,

" Perfect "
" over the top diner parties🤣 We had some friends over " yes you did and loved by all I bet

David
Thank you David, I really appreciate your time and compliments. We had a great time getting fat and happy! Thank you again!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
That's an awesome looking meal Jed! Even better is good times with old friends! I felt it yesterday morning and probably will this morning...after I wake up! :emoji_blush:
Deer season...good times!

Ryan

I am just amazed at the meals you make!
That photo of the steak on the board just blew me away!
Excellent as always Jed!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky