Tom-E-Hawk on Pit Boss 820

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spudthegreater

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 12, 2020
Thought Id try my luck on a tomahawk steak with my recent pit boss purchase. Three plus pound tomahawk Ribeye using Lumberjack Hickory Charcoal pellets.
Seasoned it with Flake salt, garlic powder and black pepper, then smoked it for about an hour at 175 to 190, the cranked the heat up to 220 to 235, used a smoke tube as well during the process. Got the internal temp to 125f, took it out wrapped it in foil and set it aside. cranked temp again to 475 to 500 after opening sear plate, and seared both sides for about 1.5mins a side. Came out perfect, will include pictures.
20200814_195616.jpg
20200814_195106.jpg
20200814_195253.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great!! It’s something I’ve yet to cook. Had some nice ones at Kroger tonight but $16.99 / lbs for choice seems way to high to me.

Looks great!! It’s something I’ve yet to cook. Had some nice ones at Kroger tonight but $16.99 / lbs for choice seems way to high to me.
We had a killer sale here in Iowa at Fareway for 7.99lb, so i bought my first tomahawk steak ever. I wouldn't do it at regular prices though. I split it with my son, still have the bone left for tomorrow.

Reactions: jcam222
Thought Id try my luck on a tomahawk steak with my recent pit boss purchase. Three plus pound tomahawk Ribeye using Lumberjack Hickory Charcoal pellets.
Seasoned it with Flake salt, garlic powder and black pepper, then smoked it for about an hour at 175 to 190, the cranked the heat up to 220 to 235, used a smoke tube as well during the process. Got the internal temp to 125f, took it out wrapped it in foil and set it aside. cranked temp again to 475 to 500 after opening sear plate, and seared both sides for about 1.5mins a side. Came out perfect, will include pictures.
Nice, looks good. I haven’t come across one of those tomahawks yet. Did you steal one of my plates 😂 image.jpg

That Steak Looks Delicious !
Hey thanks. My boy (28) said it was the best steak I ever did. And It was good. I still like Texas Roadhouse 22oz bone in Ribeye the best. Probably the msg seasonings or something, But this was a great steak. The doneness was absolutely perfect. Sometimes its hard to nail that down right.

Reactions: Just4SmokinGrillin
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky