Todd has done it again!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

squirrel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 7, 2010
augusta ga
Can I just say Todd Johnson is one smart fella. He PM'd me the other day with an idea for using his AMS. He had been to Wally World and bought some stackable cooling racks. He sent a picture of what he had done and I was, well, AMAZED! So I ran to the kitchen and pulled out my rack
icon_eek.gif
 and got started putting this thing together. Check it out! Thanks buddy! Oh, and I didn't have any problems with moisture and the dust fired right up!

Edit: I added this first photo after I realized I didn't show the whole thing put together, I also took the foil from under the mushrooms, gonna see how the cheese does before I remove it!

bfa4c86a_IMG_7618.jpg

49d4e9b2_IMG_7611.jpg

07d3f8aa_IMG_7612.jpg

24322932_IMG_7613.jpg

0b1cdf1e_IMG_7614.jpg

12c65651_IMG_7615.jpg

fade929d_IMG_7616.jpg

Thanks Todd! You're the best!!

Last edited:
I just saw Todd's cardboard box post for the 1st time this morning, looking forward to your end results also Squirrel !!!

Hey Squirrel!!

The more who post, the better!!

Only thing I would do different would be to make a foil tent to deflect some of the heat from the smoker.  The little heat it produces, went straight up to a chunk of cheese and made it sweat a little more than the rest of the batch.

This thing was kinda fun to figure out and "Cheap" to say the least!!!  It's also safe and produced some good results.  You don't need an AMNS to make it work.  Some guys make a "Cold Smoke Generator" out of a soup can, filled with chips or pellets, and a soldering iron.  Most of these items can be found in your home.

My neighbor asked me if I could smoke Paprika and some minced garlic.  Why Not?  Another chance to SMOKE!!!

Looks GREAT!!

Todd

Last edited:
Nice job Cheryl - I guess I gotta go find a cardboard box. Course I don't have a rack like yours
fc990b7b_2014_whistling_and_rolling_eyes1.gif
 so I will just have to make do with something else

icon_cool.gif

yessir ree cheryl tha looks like a funky contraption you have there. Isn't that the same idea as Alton Brown's smoker there Todd. I think I saw that show a couple of years ago. But it looks like it will do one fine job thou.I can't wait to see the results.

icon_cool.gif

yessir ree cheryl tha looks like a funky contraption you have there. Isn't that the same idea as Alton Brown's smoker there Todd. I think I saw that show a couple of years ago. But it looks like it will do one fine job thou.I can't wait to see the results.

I remember that show Mark.

AB didn't have an A-MAZE-N-SMOKER to go with his though.

The cheese got all soft on me so I put it back on the foil. Here it is after 4 hours on the AMS. It looks kinda cool though. LOL! The pecans are heavenly. I have big plans for those babies. The 'shrooms are going to get stuffed with some of the cheese and tomatoes and put on the grill. Since I was on a roll with the cold smoke I added some different types of flour. I use the semolina to make pasta, the other two get used in bread. I only have to use a very small amount to get a nice smokey flavor. It stores well too!

51d4a9d4_IMG_7623.jpg

3c9c168a_IMG_7624.jpg

df415d70_IMG_7625.jpg

No I did not do anything to the pecans. They are raw. I plan to roast them to get rid of the raw taste and make "Smoked Candied Pecans". They are soooo yummy. It's best to smoke before you roast.

That cheese looks artistic, I forsee a holiday plater with cool patterned cheese and crackers.... serve the cheese whole with a slicer and some crackers so people can see the cool patterns.

I think the lines on the cheese are just so you know where to make the slices.

MMMmmm Those look great!

Thanks Johnny and Bear! Great idea Johnny, I really like those cool patterns. I think I do some cross-hatch patterns next time!

That cheese looks great Cheryl. I just ate the last of ours yesterday. Cant wait to get the kit and try making our own

Smoking flour? I would never have thought of that -  you are a GENIUS! and that cheese looks gorgeous. Looks like I can't live much longer without an AMS!  took a quick look thru the nuts recipes, have you posted your candied pecan recipe?  I am hooked on those and love to try new variations. thanks again

Thanks! I will be posting the candied smoked pecans in the next day or two. They are sooo easy to do. The smoked flour adds a bit of smokiness to pasta and breads, just a hint. When I have given bread away that I have added the smoked flour to I alway get "What is that unique flavoring you added?" Smoke my friend. Just some smoke.

Nice Job Ms. Squirrel!!!

The cheese looks kinda cool.

What was the outside temp when you smoked the cheese?  I started at about 75* today.

Bet we see more Cardboard Box Cold Smoker posts.

Todd

Last edited:
Todd, I started mine early this a.m. and it was in the mid 60's, when it was done it was around 72F. My cheese was very fresh so the moisture content was the culprit. But I kept an eye on it and I don't mind the cool looking marks!
icon_mrgreen.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky