Today's Supper Project

Discussion in 'Pork' started by bigjrfan77, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Charcoal is in the chimney, apple chunks patiently waiting. No injection this time, just a simple rub.
  2. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

Let us know how it turns out.

3. Will do. Went on the smoker at about 11:30 (central time)
  4. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks like a good start!

5. Thanks, Al. As a teenager I worked in a little barbecue joint called "The Best Little Smokehouse in Texas". It's where I tried pork tenderloin for the first time, and where I first began to learn the art of smoking meat. One of the co-owners was the smoke master. He never injected, never brined, just rubbed. I remember thinking the first time I tried his tenderloin that it was the best meat I'd ever eaten. I hope this loin is somewhere close to his!

6. After a scant 3 hours she's a steady 146° in the middle of her thickest part. Now she gets a nice nap in the cooler.
  7. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looking good. Can't wait for the sliced pics and results.

I usually pull my loins at 142 and let the carryover bring it up to 145.

8. The rub gave it a superb flavor. The slices off the larger end aren't quite as tender, but overall I'm pleased.
  9. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

I agree with Gary, pull it a little earlier and let the carry-over bring it up to temp. Looks real good.

10. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Seems everything turned out good. Nice job.

When cooking loin or tenderloin, it seems that the higher the finished IT, the less tender the meat is. Its a fine line.