Today's Smoked Turkey and Venison Smokies (first try at pictures)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jdr1963

Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Erie, PA
Hello all,

I tried my hand at a brined and smoked turkey. I started last night with a simple brine. In the smoker about noon and done about

5:00 ish. I was making smokies and the bird hit 172 degrees before I noticed. I still let it rest foiled and toweled for about an hour. I used hickory with just a little apple mixed in. It has a nice little smoke ring but it doesn't show up too well in the pictures. The bird was still pretty moist, smelled great and tasted good as well. The extra's I'm going to serve Thursday with my regular roasted 18# bird. 

The smokies (this years deer) need smoked tommorrow and will be snack for Thursday. Now lets try the load up pictures.
5b828e34_smoked_food005.jpg
a9cfe720_smoked_food007.jpg
6a1db84b_smoked_food010.jpg
c8ad8b1a_smoked_food013.jpg
0daa3c94_smoked_food014.jpg
5ada7172_smoked_food016.jpg
ec91831d_smoked_food008.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving Week

Jdr1963

Those both look great. What is the recipe for the smokies

9cc0b5e3_smoked_food017.jpg
Scarbelly,

They are in the smoker right now. I tried a major change in the recipe this time as a trial. A reduction of alot of salt after something Bear helped me out on.

As soon as I know which variety tastes better I'll post the recipe. I tried all beef ones as well but those will need smoked tommorrow as I can't put them all in at one time.

Who would have thought a MES 30 wouldn't seem small so soon.  I'll get back to you tommorrow with results.

Jdr1963

icon_cool.gif

Youer bird ios awesome and I bet it will taste as good as it looks. Now for the sausage I really like them too. So whats on them and all the good secrets that you want to share with us

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky