Todays Smoke - - Brisket!

Discussion in 'Beef' started by brentman0110, Dec 9, 2007.

1. brentman0110

brentman0110 Meat Mopper

Today, I am smoking 2/3 of a big a#@ brisket that I bought a couple of weeks ago. I am using my ECB once again! This is the point and the middle section. Put it in at Noonthirty.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bigal

bigal Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Nice Brent! Your gonna be up LATE!!! I have a 15.1#er that I put on about 6am. I couldn't decide if I wanted to do it, so I said #$%^& it!!!

I'm at about 160 now.

Keep us updated! Is this your first one?

3. brentman0110

brentman0110 Meat Mopper

This is only my second one. The two pieces together weigh about 10#'s. It is about 70F here in Nashville, TN and am maintaining a pretty constant 230F. I did my first mop @ 2:30 with Jim Beam BBQ sauce mixed with Brown sugar and mustard with a dash of Worschetishishetrsheteritershister sauce. Already at 130F. It is rising a lot faster than I had expected. Could it be because the meat was frozen and when I thawed it, it lost a good amount of blood?
    [​IMG]

4. hillbillysmoker

hillbillysmoker Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looking good.

5. brentman0110

brentman0110 Meat Mopper

If my smoker temp is maxing out at 230F, any ideas on why the brisket is already at 140F in just 3 hrs? Could it be because of the situation that I spoke of earlier?

6. ron50

ron50 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

NY
    Are you sure that the temperature of the smoker is accurate? Is the thermometer calibrated?

7. brentman0110

brentman0110 Meat Mopper

Good q. I just checked with 2 diff thermometers and it is actually at 250F. I guess that could explain the temp. Anyway, The meat has hit the plateau as it has now been at 140F for 1.5 hrs. Just re-mopped.
    [​IMG]

8. ron50

ron50 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

NY
    It looks real good and I bet it will taste even better.

9. brentman0110

brentman0110 Meat Mopper

OK, fellas. 5.5 hours in, 3rd mop and at 160F. For slicing thin, what temp should I pull it at...185F?
    [​IMG]

10. smokeys my pet

smokeys my pet Master of the Pit OTBS Member

180 if you are slicing. Don't cut too thin or it will fall apart. Looks great!!!!!![​IMG]

11. wvsmokeman

wvsmokeman Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Fine looking Brisket!! Man, I think I can smell it!![​IMG]

12. bbq bubba

bbq bubba Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Don't go by temp, go by feel.................when your probe slides in with NO resistance, it's done!! [​IMG]

13. brentman0110

brentman0110 Meat Mopper

Finished product after 8hrs and 182F! Darn Tasty too!
    [​IMG]

14. smokeys my pet

smokeys my pet Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nice job Brent, keep it up.[​IMG]