To smoke or not? Unknown deer roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sweetwaterblue

Original poster
Dec 27, 2018
My sister gave me a 2lb "deer roast". I don't know what part it is and it is not as large as what I would normally do a leg with. Should I start brining tomorrow and just temp smoke it, or should I use this one in a crock-pot, pressure cooker, roasting pan etc.? It is bone out.
deer.jpg

My guess is a roast cut out of the rear hind what some people would call the ham area. Many people cut several roasts out of that area and that's what it looks like to me

My sister gave me a 2lb "deer roast". I don't know what part it is and it is not as large as what I would normally do a leg with. Should I start brining tomorrow and just temp smoke it, or should I use this one in a crock-pot, pressure cooker, roasting pan etc.? It is bone out.View attachment 383846

Hi there and welcome!

I can't really tell what roast or part of the deer that comes from but my guess is also from the back leg.
If that is any one of the 3 main roasts from the back leg then I would smoke it like a prime rib and not let the temp get over 140F.

It kind of looks like the Heal muscle. If you examine it and it has a lot of the silver skin and similar issue then it is the heal. The Heal muscle kind of connects the shank and the ham/hind roasts.
If this is indeed the heal then crock pot it because it is full of silver skin and other tissue that will only do well when cooked to higher temps so it melts away and becomes edible. Another option if it is he heal is to cube it up and make a stew from it. It will need to be cooked for a long while that way as well but with all of that tissue breaking down it makes yummy stew meat.

Best of luck with it and let us know what you end up doing with it! :)

Like others crock pot or maybe a SV bath. I smoke the tenderloins and a neck roast. But always after a brine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky