To Much Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

reddog

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Charlotte NC
As you can see I am new and I need some help. My 2nd smoke was a Beef Brisket. I smoked it with Cherry thru the whole cooking time 7hrs@ 225.
What I would like to know is 2 things.
1. What if I wrap the meet in foil half way thru?
2 I would like to save my Cherry wood and use Oak for heat for the 2nd half of cooking.
I did this this past weekend with Beef Ribs and it worked out o.k. But any advice would be great!
Thanks,
Mike

Hey Mike, welcome to the forum. If you wrap the meat in foil half way thru the smoke, there would be no need in using wood for smoke at that point. The smoke cannot get through the foil. Changing wood half way thru the smoke (if not using foil) would simply add a different flavor to the meat. Although according to some sources meat cannot accept anymore smoke after it reaches an internal temp of 165 or still others say after the first hour of smoke.

Hey Reddog , I think you would be just fine doing it that way. I've done that before. Some say not to wrap a brisket because the bark comes out mushy , but I wrap mine after about 5 hours and they turn out great to me . After that your just using wood or whatever for a heat source.

I personally wrap my briskets after 3 hours of smoke. I put them in a foil pan with Allegro and cover until done. Don't use a thermometer. I figure 1.5 hours per pound then add 5 hours. Meat is alway tender and juicy and everyone is always asking me to smoke one for whatever function we are having. Just don't need to waste your "flavor" wood after foiling.

Thanks, I would change out the wood because oak is easy to come by and I want to use the oak for heat. I did the foal wrap on a large pork loin half way thru too.
THIS IS GREAT INFO!
Mike

also reddog.......just noticed your sig.
if she wonders why you need 3 cookers

ask her why she needs 40 pairs of shoes?
icon_cool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky