To much Smoke on a new build? -with pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ga/smoker

Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
First time posting. Been searching and reading on here for awhile now,tried my hand at a new build. I feel the smoke stay white to long and never get to the that clear bluish smoke better for smoking. I am going to seal the chimney better and stick it further up. Should I try a different wood like saw dust or pellets? It holds temp well and i never go over 200-220. I don't soak my wood not sure it needs to be. Food is turning out fine just want to make improvements. Yes I am still working on the gas system as well.
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg
thumbnail (3).jpg
thumbnail (4).jpg
thumbnail (5).jpg
thumbnail (6).jpg
thumbnail (7).jpg
thumbnail (8).jpg
thumbnail (9).jpg
thumbnail (10).jpg
thumbnail (11).jpg
thumbnail (12).jpg
thumbnail (13).jpg
thumbnail (14).jpg
thumbnail (15).jpg
thumbnail (16).jpg
thumbnail (17).jpg
thumbnail (18).jpg

Nice smoke shack!

I've never been able to achieve thin blue smoke with my propane smoker either. I would love to do a side by side comparison with someone who can to see if I can taste the difference.

Reactions: ga/smoker
Nice build! Can't give ya much advice on it though. Maybe pops6927 pops6927 will chime in and give ya some advice. He uses propane in his smoke house also I believe.

Ryan

Thanks for the compliments, still has more work to finish up. I know you don't have to have blue smoke just thought it would make it easier to manage. I will try to use less wood and will try other types. Will fix the chimney this weekend to maybe a better draw will help

Yes, from what I can see, you are loading up too many wood chunks in your pan! 2-3 at a time is all you need to make sufficient smoke, then wait until they are ash before adding 2-3 more chunks! 30 - 45 minutes later is enough for good smoking! About enough to fit in one hand!

Nice build. I'm on Pop's and Gmc's team, cut back on wood a little and I think you'll be good.

I would like to see the burner connected with black iron pipe to the outside. I would worry that the heat in the small space will weaken the propane hose over time.

I would like to see the burner connected with black iron pipe to the outside. I would worry that the heat in the small space will weaken the propane hose over time.
I am working on that, I am trying to set up a thermostat and thermo coupler. but that is the plan. I put a temp prop there during a burn off and never got over 100 down there. But that is a concern I will have fixed when more stores are open

Do you soak your wood before smoking? I soak mine, as much as overnight, and get a nice smoke that doesn't roll out.
I don't soak it, I have tried makes no impact. I actually took the advise and went with less wood, is i smoke on lower temps I can get the then smoke, However on higher temps, over 200. It has a tendency to catch the wood on fire. I ll post more pics in a few min

I tried searching but looking for some advice on how to increase my draw. I have moved my chimney up taller and flush with the ceiling. But the smoke still seems to try and push out the door more than anything. I removed the cap on the chimney. Should I make the chimney Longer? Bigger? Is it too long? Not big enough?

nice smokehouse ya got there... I'm gonna say that the chimney needs to be taller (if not bigger as well).. should be at least a foot higher than the highest part of the roof... Also I'm thinking it should have been mounted at the highest point of the interior ceiling... I know when I installed my heatalater (fireplace) in my house the instructions said the chimney cap had to be a certain amount above the peek of the roof ..

nice smokehouse ya got there... I'm gonna say that the chimney needs to be taller (if not bigger as well).. should be at least a foot higher than the highest part of the roof... Also I'm thinking it should have been mounted at the highest point of the interior ceiling... I know when I installed my heatalater (fireplace) in my house the instructions said the chimney cap had to be a certain amount above the peek of the roof ..
Thank you I do have it much higher now I push it flush with the interior. I wish I had of went to the highest point now. Maybe I should increase the Diameter I believe it is only 3 inch but it 24"

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky