To Cure or not to Cure – Take Two!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dano

Original poster
To Cure or not to Cure – Take Two!!

First I want to apologize to those who took the time to read my post and then replied.

You see the Butcher that I used to do business with (past tense), steered me wrong! From my first post I spoke about this butcher telling me to “Cure†the meat prior to smoking. His concern was that the meat will not keep any longer than three days. Not being an expert with the smoker, (Yet) I decided to post the question here. I was then met with a one sided thread, mostly creating confusion.

I went back to the butcher today and asked him just what the @!)) he was talking about. He then described his curing process to me. When he was finished I explained to him that most people that “Smoke Meat†refer to that as a RUB, not curing!!! And when he said he smokes his meat to a temp of 140 degrees, I knew I was at the wrong place to learn anything! When I left I realized what he was talking about. Not a cure like you would do for a Ham, but rather a few hours with a Rub on it will still cause Osmosis to begin.

To Gunslinger, I apologize as well. He read the post, responded, read it again and realized that I spoke about a cure but posted a recipe for a brine. More confusion!!!

Sorry to all.

I will be doing a Test smoke this weekend with four smaller Boston Butts and I will post the results when I finish it up.

Dano

i would think the butcher is refering to cold smoking as opposed to what we do mainly which is hot smoking , hot smoking cooks the meat cold smoking preserves it .

I'm I inhaling to much smoke or what? I know answered this post already!

PDT_Armataz_01_08.gif

Hey Dano, u asked for opinions, here ya go..........lose the butcher, lose the brine, you're smoking one of the easiest cuts of meat there is!
Slather that baby in some yellow mustard, add your rub(no pickling salt!!) use store bought if u have to, or try deejaydebi's website, lots of good rubs there, and fire up that smoker, check my thread on a shoulder and brisket i did..........lots of pics and more info, hope this helps and good luck. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...=tonites+smokeKeep asking questions, that's what were here for
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

This is exactly right. This method produces a partially cooked, smoked ham.
Usually when you buy a smoked bone-in ham at the supermarket, this is what you get. Check the label next time, it will say "partially cooked."
Keep your butcher, and smoke your butts the way the super folks here have instructed.

If you want to make BBQ, pulled pork, sliced pork or whatever then get the temp up to 180(sliced) to 200(pulled).

If you want to brine a butt and make buckboard bacon or a picnic ham then cold smoke to 140 - 150*. Then finish cooking when you are ready to serve it.

It all depends on what you are trying to achieve.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

It is posible the butcher heard smoking and thought he was just smoking (preserving) some meat for the future, not smoking (BBQ) to eat now.

Most butcher shops smoke to preserve not to BBQ.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky