To all the Jerky making experts... Temp question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin’Steve

Original poster
Jul 2, 2018
Plainfield, IL
I've been reading all the posts about first time Jerky making and watching many, many Youtube videos on the subject as well.

I'm going to me attempting my first Jerky batch soon. I'm not sure my current set-up is conducive for Jerky making though.

I have a vertical propane smoke that I inherited from my dad (RIP). I did a test run this past weekend since I'm a total smoking noobie and was only able to maintain a temp in the low 200's. Reading the manual, that's as low and the smoker will go.

Am I fooling myself to think I can smoke Jerky at 200 degrees? Will it just get done sooner?

Thanks in advance.

That is a bit high in my experience. Instead of dehydrating it would be cooking the meat IMO. I usually make jerky in the 150 range.

That said, you may still be able to use your smoker by keeping a large pan full of ice in the chamber and/or placing something insulating between the water bowl and the chamber. Perhaps something as simple as keeping the door open a bit would help (though in full transparency, I've never tried any of these methods with a propane smoker). My electric smoker came with a "cold plate" that was essentially a one inch thick insulated stainless steel plate that you place above the heating element.

Dedicated dehydrators can be had relatively inexpensively. If you plan on making much jerky (and why not, it is sooo good) I would recommend purchasing one. Not only makes the process much easier but energy cost are significantly less as well.

A needle valve, to reduce the propane flow, and plugging 1/2 the holes in the burner will give you lower temps....
Burner BTU reductiion2.JPG Burner BTU reductiion3.JPG

Great suggestions because you really want to keep your temps between 125-150 for about 4-6 hrs with smoke. I like just a little more bend in my jerky and don’t take it to the “dry” stage. I also cut my pieces about a 1/4 inch thick vs thinner. Makes it more like a smoked steak piece but I and others around me prefer it this way.
Try different ways/marinades/seasonings and find out what you like the best.
Happy smoking!

When I do mine in my propane vertical smoker. I keep the flame as low as it will go. And if the temp climbs to over 160. I just crack the door open a touch. That keeps it between 150-160 where I like it.

Yep... 150-160 here. 170+ will cook it and it will get hard and crunchy.

Got 9 lbs in the fridge for a couple nice batches.

IMG_20180724_231338.jpg

Meat was hard from freezer.
IMG_20180725_001205.jpg
IMG_20180725_001520.jpg

I would also recommend trying to fix up the burner and get it to go lower. Valve or whatever.. you might have room to put a small basket or pan of charcoal in the bottom where the burner is? Use charcoal to make a lower cooking temp.. wool chunks in foil wrap so they smolder and don't ignite.

Try and put your smoke source on and do a dry run (with no jerky). A lot of the smokers have trouble keeping the chips and wood chunks lit at lower temps. Better to find that out before hand than in the middle of a smoke and loose the meat. It depends on where your chips/chunks are as to if this will be a problem. If they are directly above that flame, you are probably good, but I would test it.

If you have trouble keeping the smoke wood/chips going then a pellet tube or tray would probably work as it does not depend on the heat source to stay lit. They are self sustaining once lit.

Well shucks. Just get the right tool for the job.
I used my Daughter's Dehydro at her home in WA. (Goodwill Store find)
And last Christmas I got as a gift one of these Digital Dehydro's, to which I added fruit trays and racks.
So I smoke my meat a little, then jerk it with the dehydrator.
I highly recommend a digital programmable dehydrator to hit the right spot for your preference.
Yummie!
And there are lots to choose from besides my recommendations.
Best damned jerky ever, easiest too.

Incidentally, the lack of low temperature in a propane smoker was why they dropped out of my consideration when up grading. As did the pellet grills, for the same reason.
I needed a smoker, not a smokey cooker.

Sorry your Dad is gone. But enjoy the Propane Smoker.
Every time you touch the handle your sweat melds with his. I like that thought with the hand tools handed down to me from Great Grand Dad's, Grand Dad's, and my Dad.
Treasure the thought.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky