Tips for todays pork shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jgettyusmc

Original poster
Jun 25, 2022
69673E5C-3D1D-4A43-89A2-3923EBA9C459.jpeg

Welcome from Iowa! Bet it smells just heavenly at your house!

Ryan

Any tips on getting a really good crust going on for the last half of the cook??

Welcome from Alexandria, looking good! Sugar in the rub and letting the exterior breath helps with the bark. Hm, edit, when I say breath I mean uncovered rest followed by wrap in butcher paper, long rest in cooler. I know it’s a trend now, but I like my bark better using it. Can’t wait to see the finish!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jgettyusmc
Welcome from Alexandria, looking good! Sugar in the rub and letting the exterior breath helps with the bark. Hm, edit, when I say breath I mean uncovered rest followed by wrap in butcher paper, long rest in cooler. I know it’s a trend now, but I like my bark better using it. Can’t wait to see the finish!
What kind of times do you suggest for the rests… I usually let it just sit unwrapped for 15 min or so before slicing or breaking it down in any way….would love to hear more about covered and uncovered rests!

What kind of times do you suggest for the rests… I usually let it just sit unwrapped for 15 min or so before slicing or breaking it down in any way….would love to hear more about covered and uncovered rests!
I try to get it done to rest for at least an hour, usually have 4-5 hrs before serving though. I try to be conservative! wait for the internal temp to start dropping a bit and then either wrap in foil or butcher paper. I’m a paper convert, it lets the meat breath. then, if it’s a long resting period into a cooler and towels.

Looks like you’re crushing it! Awesome PP! Do you use finishing sauce or just the juice?
Thanks so much! I do have a vinegar based sauce on this one. Other times I’ll use a Havana sauce by Earnest Hemingway that we find to be really good mixed with the juice..

Reactions: bauchjw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky