Tips for making things quicker and easier?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Good Evening

What do you do to make prepping and actually doing a cook quicker and easier? I'm not taking about the actual cooking of meat.

After today, I realized that I feel like I make many trips in and out of the house, grabbing this, grabbing that, washing something, etc.

Curious for tips, how you store stuff, where you do your prep, staying organized, cleaning, tools that make things easier, tables outside, etc.

Last edited:
I try to get as much prep work done when no one else is about <or at least every one is away from the kitchen>. It's just less prone to make me snappy at people if no one is in the kitchen as well.

I also like to start my cooks on long smokes late at night. Like Midnight, get it going, just go to bed, wake up and know it's half done or so with out me agonizing through it. <Sleep is like time travel right!>

If you got people willing to lend a hand..well take them up on it. I try to dole out side dishes to others if I'm grilling because chances are you simply might not have time to do every thing in between grilling, and any thing going sideways.

I also utterly agree with a plan/log. Not only does it help organize the stuff; you can add notes and remember what you did and how for future plans!

Ahhhh, procedure. Part of the fun of learning to smoke is figuring out your processes so things go more quickly, becoming second nature. There's only one way to do that......practice. I have one process for my Kettle, another for my WSM, and completely different processes in the kitchen.

Rubs: I gather all my ingredients first, mix them, taste, adjust. When I know I have enough of one ingredient in my rub, I put it away.

Rubbing: Same, thing. I gather everything I need to get my meat ready for the smoker; nitrile gloves, large pan, rub, spray oil, and finally meat. Once the meat is rubbed to my liking, I clean up everything and put the meat back in the fridge.

Smoker: I do keep everything in one place, a big plastic storage bin. I distinctly remember learning my process with my WSM. Here's what I do now. Check the ash bowl, empty if necessary, add wood, add charcoal, and fire up the chimney with the required number of briquettes. CHECK MY VENTS ARE SET WHERE I NEED THEM. While the chimney is getting ready, I hook up my therms and my DX2 if I'm using it. When the chimney is ready, I add it to the cold pile, put the WSM back together with the cover on, and let it come up to temp and the smoke to settle down, which can take up to 90 minutes. Add the meat, and forget about everything for several hours, which isn't possible with a stick burner. I don't spritz, peek, or do anything to the meat until I'm getting ready to check for doneness.

Fix something to drink; beer, soft drink, cocktail. Relax. If I'm doing an overnighter......sleep, but check Maverick chamber temps when I wake up during the night. I don't use my meat probes any longer.

I do clean as I go. A clean, uncluttered kitchen or cook area reduces any stress from cooking/smoking, especially for a large group.

I wash my hands so often it could be considered OCD. I REALLY hate cross contaminating my food areas.

Reactions: TomKnollRFV
I have premade rubs made way before hand. ill make a big batch of it.
Most or the time i just use SPOG and thats premixed in a shaker.

the routine is generally the same.
1. Get the meat out.
2. Light the coals.
3. Open all vents.
4. Trim meat(s)
5. Tip out coals and light some wood.
6. Dust the meat
7. Close up the smoker and get the air flow right
8. Clean mess up, temp should be there by now.
9. Put meat in smoker.
10. monitor temp add wood where needed.

I have several trays where different things are stored. these are metal water trays that are used for. Water pan/Beef Cheeks and smoked mac'n'cheese where i store all the items i need.
So one contains all the utensils (tongs, spatula, knifes, Scrubber)
One contains flavourings (Oil Spray, Vinegar Spray, Apple Spray bottles)
One contains other things (Gloves, Paper Towel probes)

So i can just get them out quick and easy.
I think patterns just start to form the longer you use the same pit.

Thanks for the responses. I realize it will be an evolution over time to find out what works best for me.

Does anyone have a table or other surface that you use next to your rigs to work off of? Something portable or that you built?

My Kettle is an old Performer model with an attached table. I have my WSM on one side of the table, my gasser on the other. That flat surface is ESSENTIAL!

Darvin Orbar on YouTube shows how to make a BBQ table for the tableless Kettle, or you could just build the table. Looks easy and solid.

There are lots of YouTube videos that show how to build BBQ carts.

I usually do my prep in the kitchen meat (or any sides) ready for smoker when I take it out to the smoker. This also makes clean up easier with the kitchen sink right there. A to do list will come with time and practice.

Warren

My Kettle is an old Performer model with an attached table. I have my WSM on one side of the table, my gasser on the other. That flat surface is ESSENTIAL!

Darvin Orbar on YouTube shows how to make a BBQ table for the tableless Kettle, or you could just build the table. Looks easy and solid.

There are lots of YouTube videos that show how to build BBQ carts.

Thank you - I've seen her video before and it looks great.

However, I am looking for surface that is more portable. What I mean by that is not something that stays out all of the time. My Traeger is kept in the garage and then I roll it out to a coveted patio.

As far as I know there aren't many doing it but but I "smoke" over a few days. Each protein has variations but basically a 3 day process. I am lead to believe the process is similar in most restaurants except the TX absolutely nothing but same day. There are a few of us that actually think it is better to let the meat rest.

IE ribs:
Day 1 (night before): prep, rub, overnight pellicle on smoker grate in fridge
Day 2: smoke, wrap, chill. Throw grate in hot oxyclean bath.
Day 3: sauce and sear on grill. Clean grate, remove foil drop pan from smoker, dump AMNPS ash, put away smoker.

I keep items like saran wrap, aluminium foil, about 5 small foil pans, 5 large foil pans, grocery bags labeled of 5 pecan pieces and 5 apple pieces, all in a tote, labeled with what's in it so i can refill after each cook. Keeps it all together so i carry 2 totes out 1 atc with all needed and 1 as described.

As far as I know there aren't many doing it but but I "smoke" over a few days. Each protein has variations but basically a 3 day process. I am lead to believe the process is similar in most restaurants except the TX absolutely nothing but same day. There are a few of us that actually think it is better to let the meat rest.

IE ribs:
Day 1 (night before): prep, rub, overnight pellicle on smoker grate in fridge
Day 2: smoke, wrap, chill. Throw grate in hot oxyclean bath.
Day 3: sauce and sear on grill. Clean grate, remove foil drop pan from smoker, dump AMNPS ash, put away smoker.
I see a flaw in your day 3..you put away the smoker ;)

Clean up day(s) for me are easier then prepping to smoke if you got a big ole tub. I chuck things in it with soap and water, leave it for at least overnight, scrub, spray down, put back in the smoker, turn the smoker to 275f with a load of chips for 1-2 hours.

I think the best tip is still get others to help, because trying to juggle -every thing- for a meal at once is difficult.

Does anyone have a "kit" or collection of tools/accessories/etc that they take out to the smoker with them? That way you have everything you may need, rather than running in and out of the house.

Like a carrier or some type of small tote to keep it organized and easy to take out?

Does anyone have a "kit" or collection of tools/accessories/etc that they take out to the smoker with them? That way you have everything you may need, rather than running in and out of the house.

Like a carrier or some type of small tote to keep it organized and easy to take out?

I have one of those storage boxes, the kind for storing outdoor patio cushions and stuff, have all my needs stored in there, right next to my smoker, (well all except lighter, lighter fluid, thermometers, and keys to the box).

This stuff may help.

-Folding dinner tray (wooden) and you can buy a single for like $9 at Target or places like that.
images

-Crisper Basket and Tray +Cutting board + Q Matt - this particular crisper basket fits perfectly on the shelves of an MES40 so I can add and remove meat into/out of the smoker with zero effort or dropping things.

053_450x336.jpg

So this is how it all goes down for me.

Cutting and Trimming Meat
I put the Copper Chef Tray (not basket) on my kitchen counter.
The cutting board fits perfectly in the tray so I put the cutting board in the tray.
I lay meat on the cutting board and trim/cut away.

Seasoning Meat
I put the Q-mat in the Copper Chef crisper basket (is a little long but does fine).
I move the meat from the cutting board and put it on the mat and crisper basket.
I remove the cutting board from the metal tray and then put it in the sink or dish washer.
I put the basket on the tray (meat on qmat, qmat on basket, basket on metal tray).

I season the meat right there and any excess seasoning that falls through is CAUGHT by the metal tray :)
I have some pre-mixed seasoning or I just pull them all out and set them on the counter and season with whatever is in my kitchen pantry, either way it is easy.

Loading/Removing from Smoker
Once seasoned I carry the Tray + Basket + Meat to my smoker.
I set it down on the foldout dinner tray which is next to or near by my smoker (I use the dinner tray to hold the door open on my MES hehehehee)
I put all my meat probes into the meat (my probes are 6ft long on purpose for this reason).

With two oven mitts on my hands I add the BASKET (not the tray) onto my MES smoker rack(s). The mitts prevent burns if I touch the inside of the MES smoker.
I shut the smoker door.
I take the metal tray inside and rinse clean it if necessary.

Unloading time!
I take the metal tray back out and set it on the fold out dinner tray.
I open the MES door and use the dinner tray to keep it propped open.
Using oven mitts I grab the basket out of the MES and set on the metal tray.
I close the MES door.
I carry the metal tray + basket + meat back into my kitchen and set on the counter. The metal tray will catch any drippings and protect the floor and your clothes from becoming a mess :)
I use tongs (big or small) to move meat so it can be wrapped in foil (brisket for a rest,etc.) or put meat in foil pan for shredding (pulled pork and chucks), put the meat on serving dishes if eating immediately (chicken pieces, chops, etc.), do whatever I need to with ease since I am in my kitchen and working on a counter!

Conclusion
As you can see my process is easy, efficient, and far from being rigid. There is minimal moving of things around or carrying tools here/there, etc. Stuff stays in the kitchen with me while I work the meat (prep or serving) and the only thing that moves is the meat with it's whole tray + basket setup either when it is being loaded or removed.

I hope this gives you some ideas. Here is a shot of me working with smoked mini meatloaves. Meatloaf is a prime candidate for tearing up on you if you fool around with it too much or you don't have a good setup for dealing with it. So if this works on meatloaf, you know it works with everything else (I vouch for that).

! I've got a GMG Davy Crockett, as well as a new portable Ooni 3 pellet / propane pizza oven. The pizza oven gets up to 930° in 10 minutes, and I realized that is higher than most self-cleaning ovens. So, after a recent cook of a very well marbled prime tomahawk steak from Costco, I was getting ready to scrub all the grease off the drip pan and the grill. Instead, I put them in the Ooni, and after 12 minutes all the grease was gone, leaving only some fine white ash that brushed right off! Since laziness is the mother of invention (I just made that up) I thought I'd share this tip. By the way, the ooni 3 makes pizza as good as the best restaurant pizza, and doesn't set off my smoke alarm! Win-win!

You mean something like this?

Attachments

• grill-sergeant-grilling-apron.jpg
    grill-sergeant-grilling-apron.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: smokinbill1638
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky