Tine to build another smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

killerb468

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 3, 2013
Pleasant View Tn
I was given this tank and before I put time into it. Will the center weld seem be an issue other than cosmetic? Don’t want it to do funky stuff when I cut it open. Measures to be a 125 gallon and want to make a horizontal RF out of it. Please, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 5C7D68BE-9533-422F-B8B4-77F4D777710A.png
    5C7D68BE-9533-422F-B8B4-77F4D777710A.png
    860.1 KB · Views: 44
Is that tank galvanized? It's kind of hard to tell from the picture.

The center weld is machine welded so the heat put in originally was probably pretty even and most likely didn't put any real stress into the tank.
I think they stress relieve them also if my "how to they do that show" memory is good🤔.

Unfortunately no way to tell untill you start opening it up.

Just be safe but
remember, god hates a coward😁😆

All my opinion
Corey

Reactions: Fueling Around
I haven’t seen it yet to lnow if it is galvanized or not. How would you know if if is glass lined? Also is there a scratch test gor galvanized propane tanks?

Might be better to mod my existing smoker and add 6” to it for another rack. Here is the freak, built 10 years ago. Still doing work.

Attachments

• A9622585-FC8F-446D-B386-EB75DD7E668A.png
    A9622585-FC8F-446D-B386-EB75DD7E668A.png
    560.9 KB · Views: 30
If it scratches to bare metal it is just the common silver paint used on LP tanks.

I just read a thread on building a RF horizontal and the person cut out the center section to shorten and remove the fittings.

Found it

So I an passing on the tank. Should I look for another one or just raise the roof and have a split door on my old smoker. Cut and raise 4 or 6”. I believe I have seen it done on here. Could find the thread.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky