Timing and other tips for doing Pork Butts and Briskets at the same time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ryan smith

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'm pretty new...have two butts just under my belt and to the back. 
biggrin.gif

Although this might not be smoker specific, I'll be using an MES 30 and AMNPS

This will be my first brisket so I'm a little green there.

I'm shooting for 225 degrees and figuring about 2 hrs/lb give or take for the butts, but I'll be going by temp (190 for the pork and 170ish for the brisket / then wrapped). I'm guessing they'll all be 6-7lbs plus or minus.

What would be your starting order? I'm just not certain how long it would take the brisket to get to 170. Trying my best to get them all done close to the same time...I know I can wrap'em up in foil and keep them warm.

Also...what do you think about making the Smokey Au Jus as described here: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...oke-this-time-brisket-advice-tips-suggestions

At the same time as the pork...will this have any negative effects?

Cheers!

Briskets cook real funny (and pork butts too for that matter) so you might not get a lot of firm pointers or tips on what to do. Your best bet is to get meat that is all around the same weight. That will give you the best chance at finishing close to the same time.

Agree with Humdinger, each piece us a little different. I've never tired what you are doing, but either piece of meat can be wrapped in foil, a couple towels, and put in a camping cooler for a couple hours with out a problem. So hopefully someone can give you a good guideline to go by, but if it's looking off come cook time don't get worried, have some wiggle room there with the rest time.

One more thing. If you want the pork to cook 20 degrees longer, then put it in 2-3 hours earlier than the brisket. As for the au jus....try it and let us all know how it goes. I haven't seen anyone on here who has made the au jus with pork and beef drippings, so it would be interesting.

I'll give it a shot...

I'm nervous about the brisket...the only ones I saw in the store were very wide, thick at one end, flat at the other and like 12lbs.

That is what a whole packer looks like. There are posts on here about separating a brisket if you want to separate the point and flat, then you would have one more even piece of the flat.

Also, and I am not expert at all, 170 seems low for the brisket. Sure there are a lot of people on here who know way more than me but thought people usually for slicing took the flat up to 190ish. But I may be off.

170 was when I would wrap it in foil...sorry about that.

Hmmm...not sure I want to go about trimming one at this point.

Maybe I'll keep looking for a flat.

Lots of youtube videos on separating point & flat. Also, i take my briskets up to about 190 and butts to 200-205 for pulling. I wrap and rest my briskets for about 2 hours and butts for at least an hour. I don't foil my briskets during the cook any more. Always, tender and moist without it. Good luck and let us know what you did and how they came out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky