time to try whet-stone sharpening again.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
spent a good part of the weekend researching knives(again). watched a bunch of you tube with little Asian guys teaching sharpening. Last time i tried this my knives looked like a chevy Lumina after an all day parking derby in a Hialeah Wal-mart. Still have a couple slots open in one block if I pull the trigger on a couple of new knives (pun intended)I got crap for cutlery now.

• Haha
Reactions: jcam222
Check out a Ken Onion worksharp sharpener, and buy the additional sharpening accessory that uses 1”x18” belts. I have a sharpening business & this is what I use. I finish the knives with a leather belt with compound on them. I get my belts from Red Label Abrasives online.
When I get done with a knife you can easily shave your arm with it!
I even took a butter knife & made it razor sharp, so you could keep your knives & buy a good sharpener. I have knives that I bought for $200 each & some that cost $10 each, the only difference is the expensive knives hold a sharp edge a lot longer, but if you have a good sharpener, that doesn’t matter, you just have to sharpen them more often.
Al

Check out a Ken Onion worksharp sharpener, and buy the additional sharpening accessory that uses 1”x18” belts. I have a sharpening business & this is what I use. I finish the knives with a leather belt with compound on them. I get my belts from Red Label Abrasives online.
I even took a butter knife & made it razor sharp, so you could keep your knives & buy a good sharpener. I have knives that I bought for $200 each & some that cost $10 each, the only difference is the expensive knives hold a sharp edge a lot longer, but if you have a good sharpener, that doesn’t matter, you just have to sharpen them more often.
Al
whoa- doggies that is slick. on my frivoulous spending list
thank you

I have the KO Worksharp too, but I don't have the blade grinding attachment that SmokinAl SmokinAl mentioned. They have a short learning curve and I've been very satisified with mine. The company has good instructional videos, most from one gentleman that does a good job explaining the technique. The more you use it, the easier it is to develop the proper grip, technique and travel speed as you draw the blade toward you. Be aware that there are some negative videos out there too, knocking the angle adjustment and claiming the bevel angles can come out unequal, but I use a magic marker on the bevel, and only use the Worksharp setting as a general reference point.

I do own an EdgePro Professional, which uses the water stones and tape strips. I use it on certain knives when someone wants a polished edge, or a low angle scary sharp edge. These sharpeners are pricy but I got an amazing deal on mine as it was a distributor demo kit, and has a scissor attachment. If I had to pay retail I might not purchase this sharpener.

Al
I got one with all the bells and whistles for Christmas last year. I really want to learn how to use it however it’s much tougher to use for a lefty. I’ve tried a few times on some “practice knives” and so far just suck at it lol.

I have the KO Worksharp too, but I don't have the blade grinding attachment that SmokinAl SmokinAl mentioned. They have a short learning curve and I've been very satisified with mine. The company has good instructional videos, most from one gentleman that does a good job explaining the technique. The more you use it, the easier it is to develop the proper grip, technique and travel speed as you draw the blade toward you. Be aware that there are some negative videos out there too, knocking the angle adjustment and claiming the bevel angles can come out unequal, but I use a magic marker on the bevel, and only use the Worksharp setting as a general reference point.

I do own an EdgePro Professional, which uses the water stones and tape strips. I use it on certain knives when someone wants a polished edge, or a low angle scary sharp edge. These sharpeners are pricy but I got an amazing deal on mine as it was a distributor demo kit, and has a scissor attachment. If I had to pay retail I might not purchase this sharpener.
Thanks guys;
informative and thought provoking. Ispent almost 1/2an hour with the stone on 6" utility this morning. drew it through my priority chef pull through and it was 4times as sharp. Since my stroke I'm pretty retarded on eye/hand coordintions stuff (no ill intention meant towards those truly disabled) Even a post this length takes 15-20 minutes to type. am lefty too

Al

I think I'll look into this.

Last edited:
this style works. soak stones then pick an agle n get sharp Best KME Knife Sharpener Reviews in 2021-The Buyer’s Guide (techswave.com)
knifesharpener.jpg

Reactions: chopsaw
so how do ya know what angle u want?? just guessing??
20-30* angle is best. So I shoot for a 25* angle. I sharpen all free hand and have done so for many decades. It’s a “feel” thing, but there are gauges to buy to reference the cut angle. Trial and error over time you can learn a skill. It’s always hard telling not knowing. So best to know without guessing.

20-30* angle is best. So I shoot for a 25* angle. I sharpen all free hand and have done so for many decades. It’s a “feel” thing, but there are gauges to buy to reference the cut angle. Trial and error over time you can learn a skill. It’s always hard telling not knowing. So best to know without guessing.
I agree with everything above. My old man taught me how to sharpen with a wet stone. Its a practice ,practice ,practice thing. He would spit on the stone and start honing, just free hand, in about 20 min the knife was so sharp you could shave with it.

Good memories
Corey

Last edited:
I agree with everything above. My old man taught me how to sharpen with a wet stone. Its a practice ,practice ,practice thing. He would spit on the stone and start honing, just free hand, in about 20 min the knife was so sharp you could shave with it.

Good memories
Corey

My grand pap was the same way but his spit had leaf tobacco in it. Maybe it helped? lol

Al
I went and bought it. Instead of asking the warden, I’ll explain after the fact how it is better to buy a sharpener than a $500 set ofWhustof

Last edited:
Reactions: foamheart
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky