Time to make some sauce.. I hope.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well... This did not turn out well. These have been sitting for 5 weeks or so but they looked like this after a day or two. Definitely no sauce, just ground up pepper matter in brine. I wanted to post this up earlier but kept getting side tracked. What am I missing here..?
I think jcam222 jcam222 has said he uses xanthan gum sometimes to keep sauces from separating.

pit 4 brains pit 4 brains That's normal. You can either just shake it up good before use. Or add xanthan gum. Which can be found on amazon. I would recommend pouring the bottles out into a quart jar then add the gum. And use sparingly. And stir it well or it could clump. For a quart jar. I would start with a 1/8 of a tsp. Stir. And let it set. If it still separates. Add another 1/8tsp.

Reactions: pit 4 brains
Agree with Steve. Also what type blender did you use? If you see a lot of coarse pepper it may need blended more or even milled. I’d pour it back in the blender and add the gum and Hugh speed blend more. I definitely leave mine in larger storage a few days prior to bottling.

Reactions: pit 4 brains
Also, with the first batch I made I thought I'd mill it with a juicer. Since these were dehydrated peppers. The skins didn't soften enough even after fermenting for a month. The juicer kept plugging up. I ended up using a food processor and had course pepper as well. Then, I just strained it through a colander. Came out fine.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice. I figured it was just garbage. My pH is 3.0 so I'm sure it's still good. I'm gonna order up some of that gum, remix the two and reblend with the gum at the end then rest in mason jars.

Reactions: jcam222 and Steve H
I got some xanthan gum on order. I saw som guar gum on there as well. Is that a suitable binder as well?
Also what type blender did you use?
I have a Ham Beach blender with nine buttons that turn the same blade. Nothing fancy, but it does have a glass jar.

I have a Ham Beach blender with nine buttons that turn the same blade. Nothing fancy, but it does have a glass jar.
:emoji_laughing: I'm not sure about the other thickener/stabilizer. It does show possible health effects if improperly used. Then again. You can die from too much water!!

:emoji_laughing: I'm not sure about the other thickener/stabilizer. It does show possible health effects if improperly used. Then again. You can die from too much water!!
Yes. dihydrogen oxide can be very dangerous.
Since we all use it in all three forms, solid, liquid and vapor, I have enclosed a link to a Safety Data Sheet that everyone in the household should have access to.

Reactions: Steve H
I got some xanthan gum on order. I saw som guar gum on there as well. Is that a suitable binder as well?

I’d stick with xanthan. I’d you ever get a chance to score a Vitamix blender used or sale highly recommend for sauce. Just nukes everything no straining or milling needed.

I’d stick with xanthan. I’d you ever get a chance to score a Vitamix blender used or sale highly recommend for sauce. Just nukes everything no straining or milling needed.
Wow those Vitamix demand some $$. I'll have to hunt around.

Wow those Vitamix demand some $$. I'll have to hunt around.
If you're just looking to make hot sauce. And other juices. Then look into champion juicers. And. If you're thinking about making hotdogs. Or other emulsified meats. The champion juicer is rated high for this.

yeah.. just sauces right now. I have no intention of making emulsified anything. Heck I haven't stuffed a sausage for almost 10 years.
Speaking of that, I need to get some casings and bust out the stuffer.

This little go-around is just a learning curve for me. If I get it nailed down, next harvest is going to be Carolina Reapers, Jalafuego, Magnum Habanero, Cayenne and Serrano peppers. I have them germed and growing now in my little biodome.
20230219_002258.jpg
20230219_002044.jpg

It's a inexpensive setup from park seed with a heating pad under it. I's around 80 degres and humid in there. You can germ seeds in a week.

I just ordered some Carolina Reaper seeds.
i did reapers one year. not really a fan. not so much because they're super hot - which they totally are, but they just smell like bad decisions. the same year, i did trinidad scorpions, and those smell just like roasted red peppers after dried and crushed - i use those all the time in sauces and marinades. delicious.

pit 4 brains pit 4 brains That's normal. You can either just shake it up good before use. Or add xanthan gum. Which can be found on amazon. I would recommend pouring the bottles out into a quart jar then add the gum. And use sparingly. And stir it well or it could clump. For a quart jar. I would start with a 1/8 of a tsp. Stir. And let it set. If it still separates. Add another 1/8tsp.
Just what the doctor ordered! I followed your advice, which matched everything else I read, and tossed 1/8 tsp per cup in to the reblend and let it mix a little while. I put it into mason jars to rest a few days and to check for consistency. It all looked, smelled and tasted good so back into the bottles it went.
20230307_202405.jpg
20230307_202528.jpg

I'm happy for my first go-round and looking forward to this years pepper harvest.
In the meantime, I wanna get a few supplies as mentioned and try my hand at some fermented cucumber relish to up my smashburger game a notch..
Thanks Steve H Steve H , jcam222 jcam222 and everyone else for the help!
-Pete

Just what the doctor ordered! I followed your advice, which matched everything else I read, and tossed 1/8 tsp per cup in to the reblend and let it mix a little while. I put it into mason jars to rest a few days and to check for consistency. It all looked, smelled and tasted good so back into the bottles it went.
View attachment 659553View attachment 659554

I'm happy for my first go-round and looking forward to this years pepper harvest.
In the meantime, I wanna get a few supplies as mentioned and try my hand at some fermented cucumber relish to up my smashburger game a notch..
Thanks Steve H Steve H , jcam222 jcam222 and everyone else for the help!
-Pete
Glad it worked out Pete! I’m really looking forward to fresh peppers this summer

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky