Time To Cut Some Texas Sized T-Bones (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
But I agree that even thoughthe bone eventually gets thrown away, I find it adds a good amount of flavor to the meat.

At the price Ipaid for this roast, about 1/3 the price of store bought, I'm ok with giving the bone to the dog. Of course, she's ok with it too :emoji_wink:

I waiting for Market Street to put Rib roast on sale!

I know of several people that do that. I've managed to get a couple of full 103 sub primal rib sections that end up at tomahawks, boneless rib eyes, or rib roasts...or all of the above.

Nice haul Robert. Gonna be tasty

Thanks Jake!! We will be finding out shortly how tasty they are.

Robert

Boy howdy Robert those are some fine looking slabs of beef! 1&1/2" thick should cook up beautifully, that's what I cut my boneless ribeyes into when I score my holiday primes.

Thanks so much Ray. I've found that 1 1/4" is minimum thickness to get them perfectly done the way we like them. Of course anything above that...like 1 1/2" to 2" is OK also. I just try to portion them so it's enough for a nice meal without a ton of leftovers.

Nice! Those are some fine T-bones there!

Appreciate it Steve. I was happy with the roast and the final cut steaks. we will see shortly how fine they really are though.

Took them and my wife a long time to figure out the tail was the most tender part since their steaks rarely made it to the table with tails. Not sure why :)

Gee Jeff, do I get 3 guesses what happened to the tail? I have the visual of keeping an eye on the door to make sure nobody is coming, and sneaking little pieces of the tail until somehow they manage to disappear all together. Sounds like something I might do :emoji_astonished:

Robert

Wow those sure would look good on my kettles Robert. Great looking steaks, and I'm most definitely looking forward to your post on their cooking.

Hee hee hee...tel ya what Chris. Load that kettle up, come on down to a much warmer climate for a while, and i'll let you cook as many of them as you want for me. Heck, I might even let you have one or two :emoji_laughing: Won't be long until you see the post for the first one.

Looks like some good eating there Robert!

Thanks Al!!If these are of the same quality as the rest of the CB stuff I've had, it should be excellent as long as I don't screw up cooking them.

Yep, definitely see some good eating in your future Robert! Look forward to seeing them cooked up! Used that Sawzall trick many times

Been using a Sawzall all my life. Never in my wildest dreams as a framing carpenter did I ever think I'd be using one to butcher meat. The experience from years ago paid off though. I managed to cut some pretty consistent steaks. Got one on the Rec Tec now getting a nice dose of smoke before I sear it. Dinner will hopefully be really good.

Robert

They all look good from here. It's a tough call between Rib Steaks and Short Loin Steaks.

Thanks Jimmy!! I'm very fortunate to have these t-bones as well as some tomahawks and massive rib eyes I cut from one of the 103 rib sections. Freezer is looking pretty good right now as far as steaks go.

Nice Bones there, Robert!!
Shoot I thought you left us, stranger!!

Thank you Bear!! I'd never leave you me friend. It's like this in my world every year. As we come into the Thanksgiving holiday it's insanely busy with people trying to get everything done then I'll have a month and a half where there's little or nothing to do with folks shut down until New Years. Just not a whole lot of time to play right now but that'll change to a large degree in the next few days.

Robert

Those are nice . I have 3 band saws , but worried about using one for this .
Nice to do your own .

Those are nice . I have 3 band saws , but worried about using one for this .
Nice to do your own .

Thanks Chop. The one I have is more for finer carpentry work. Really, it's not much more than an upgraded scroll saw. I could so smaller pieces of meat on it possibly but cleaning it would be a handful. Just not worth it to me. Doing smaller things like this as opposed to commercial butchering, it's way less labor intensive to use the Sawzall.

Robert

PhonyHealthyFoxhound-max-1mb.gif

This is going to be you sitting down to eat one of those. Damn man that is one beautiful pile of meat!

ok Robert...those look killer - I am ready to receive my shipment...bahhahaa

No doubt a T-Bone is a great steak but I've always had an aversion to buying them. To get a top shelf steak they can get a bit pricey and I have a hard time spending that much $$ on an inedible bone that either gets thrown away or is given to the dog. I know, I know, you're all gonna tell me that the bone is where the flavor is. I get that but it's still a trash item at the end of the day :emoji_astonished: Well there have been a couple posts showcasing these steaks recently so figured I'd look into getting them at a more reasonable price and reached out to my buddy Joe at CPB. He worked is magic and procured me two Shortloin roasts from the wholesale side of the company. Due to a shipping glitch only one got sent out but it arrived Friday and the second one will ship the week after Thanksgiving. Average weight for the case of two roasts is 50#. That should give me a few nice steaks...probably more than I need so offered one to a forum friend who readily accepted. Decided to go ahead and break the roast down yesterday morning.

Two pics in the packaging
View attachment 471909
View attachment 471910

Two pics out of the packaging
View attachment 471911
View attachment 471912

Got the tape measure out, did the math, and decided to cut 11 steaks 1 1/2" thick. Sterilized a new blade on the Sawzall and went to work. The first three. they have a little "sawdust" on them but that's ok
View attachment 471913

View attachment 471914

View attachment 471915

All 11 of them. Pics from a couple different angles
View attachment 471916
View attachment 471917
View attachment 471918

Vac sealed, weighed, and ready to go into the freezer
View attachment 471919

Guess what we are having for diner this evening :emoji_wink: I'd have done one last night but we were already committed to dinner with friends we had not seen for a while at their house. Average weight on these is just over 2# each. Some a little bigger, some a little smaller due to rudimentary tools and my ineptitude as a butcher but they turned out alright and will get eaten I'm sure.

Thanks for dropping in and we'll see you on the next one.

Robert
Those look Amazing!

This is going to be you sitting down to eat one of those. Damn man that is one beautiful pile of meat!

You are absolutely correct!! That was me Sunday evening.

ok Robert...those look killer - I am ready to receive my shipment...bahhahaa

Well Dave, it's a tough line to get into for these. Ya gotta start by developing a great rapport with Joe at CPB, spend some $$, and wait for Congress to come into session to review your request.

Those are gonna be gooood!

Thanks Hawg!! They certainly are.

I'm still curious if you cut through the meat and bone with the Sawzall or cut the meat with a knife and then the bone with the Sawzall?

John...my sincere apologies. I totally neglected coming back to this thread. I started out with the Chef's knife and cut small slices where I wanted to cut the steaks based on using the tape measure. From there I cut as much as I possibly could with the knife from top and bottom, as well as front and back of the roast and stopped when I hit bone. From there I just slipped the blade of the Sawzall into the cut I made with the knife and ONLY used it to cut through bone. I was concerned that the blade would really tear the steaks up. The Sawzall I used is a newer generation, cordless, and lightweight. I was able to hold the roast with my left hand and keep the steak spread apart from the roast with my fingers while cutting through the bone with the saw in my right hand.

Apologies again sir,
Robert

Thanks for the reply and no apology necessary.

I kind of thought that is what you did because that blade on the Sawzall can do some serious damage to soft tissue.

Appreciate you understanding. Things move pretty quick here and sometimes it's tough to keep up.

Being that fingers would probably be considered "soft tissue" I can attest to the accuracy of your assessment :emoji_wink:

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky