Time for old fashioned summer sausage again

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

isitdoneyet

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2013
NW Ohio
Time again for making "old fashioned summer sausage". We have been making this stuff for years. 2-1 ratio of lean beef to pork butt, salt , pepper, cure#2. Mix salt and pepper on cubed meat and grind with medium plate. Dissolve cure in cold water and pour over ground meat, then grind second time. After second grind mix to get the proper meat paste consistency. Stuff into 55-60mm beef middles. Hang to dry for couple hours. After casings are dry, cold smoke for 6 hours. Will do this 3 times. After 3rd time they will hang in a cold area for 4-6 weeks till they dry out 30-40%. Here they are after the 3rd smoke. time for the drying time.
20190225 summer sausage.jpg

Dave
We mix in 15# batches. Only salt and pepper and cure
For 15# batch
10# lean beef
5# Pork butt with fat
3.5 oz. or 99.2 g Salt
.9 oz. or 25.5 g course ground black pepper
.6 oz or 17.1 g Cure #2

Looks great . Worked with a guy that did his deer sausage like that . Best I ever had . I'm guessing yours is right there also .

Thanks everyone. and yes it tastes great. Nice pepper bite and just the right amount of salt.

Time again for making "old fashioned summer sausage". We have been making this stuff for years. 2-1 ratio of lean beef to pork butt, salt , pepper, cure#2. Mix salt and pepper on cubed meat and grind with medium plate. Dissolve cure in cold water and pour over ground meat, then grind second time. After second grind mix to get the proper meat paste consistency. Stuff into 55-60mm beef middles. Hang to dry for couple hours. After casings are dry, cold smoke for 6 hours. Will do this 3 times. After 3rd time they will hang in a cold area for 4-6 weeks till they dry out 30-40%. Here they are after the 3rd smoke. time for the drying time.
View attachment 389095
What's your smokehouse setup? Wanting to get into making the old fashioned sausage on my own, prices to have it done at the processor is getting to be a bit too pricey for me. Time to do it myself. Thanks for any input!

What's your smokehouse setup? Wanting to get into making the old fashioned sausage on my own, prices to have it done at the processor is getting to be a bit too pricey for me. Time to do it myself. Thanks for any input!
I do not have an actual smoke house. I use two cabinet smokers with Amazen tube smokers for smoke. I only do 45# at a time, as that is all that will fit in my two smokers.
20170304_230312.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky