Time for more bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice work on the bacon . Beautiful Doberman . I've done the same with trying different curing methods . I think it's good to know how to do them all .
Nice job on the post also .

Nice work on the bacon . Beautiful Doberman . I've done the same with trying different curing methods . I think it's good to know how to do them all .
Nice job on the post also .
Thank you chopsaw, I appreciate it ! I did learn my lesson on doing comparisons, did one a couple years ago when I was just lurking, lost track of which bacon was which. It was all good, ooopppsss my bad. Kya is wonderful, but still being a puppy, she is so full of energy and loves to be outside. She gets so bored when it's too cold to be outside for long...which is quite often in nw iowa this time of year.

Ryan

Excellent job Ryan. I tip my hat to you sir...you did it right :emoji_wink: A lot of times when folks make bacon they only do a small amount and wish they'd made 10x as much. The first batch is gone before they can get the next one ready. There seems to be a bacon trend going right now. I've seen a couple posts recently plus I have about 40# of bacon and dried beef going on the smoker tomorrow and a 5# corned beef curing that's gonna get done next weekend. Congrats on the carousel ride and prayers to your mom.

Robert

Excellent job Ryan. I tip my hat to you sir...you did it right :emoji_wink: A lot of times when folks make bacon they only do a small amount and wish they'd made 10x as much. The first batch is gone before they can get the next one ready. There seems to be a bacon trend going right now. I've seen a couple posts recently plus I have about 40# of bacon and dried beef going on the smoker tomorrow and a 5# corned beef curing that's gonna get done next weekend. Congrats on the carousel ride and prayers to your mom.

Robert
Thank you Robert, I appreciate it! I would have probably done more but being the first time buying bellies at that store I didn't want to be hugely disappointed. Oh yes, dried beef...another thing on to do list. Thank you for the prayers...she was better on Friday, we hope and pray she continues to improve and that she doesn't go back the other way. When my wife and I got her into the car on Wednesday we honestly didn't think she would ever come back home. So prayers have been answered already.

Well gotta run, I smell a wonderful aroma of bacon frying that needs sampling!

Thanks again
Ryan

Well Ryan, I'm with you sir: go big or go home. I got mine out of hibernation yesterday. Rinsed, applied second coat of seasonings, and ready to go on the smoker today after an overnight rest in the fridge.

013.jpg

In the back is 2 chunks of maple and brown sugar bacon. The middle is 2 chunks of pepper crusted (this was the biggest belly I've ever seen) and in the front is 2 eye rounds that will be dried beef and a 3# brisket flat that is curing for corned beef. All told, right at 40# of goodies.

Yep, Rec Tec gonna be busy today,
Robert

Well Ryan, I'm with you sir: go big or go home. I got mine out of hibernation yesterday. Rinsed, applied second coat of seasonings, and ready to go on the smoker today after an overnight rest in the fridge.

View attachment 431654

In the back is 2 chunks of maple and brown sugar bacon. The middle is 2 chunks of pepper crusted (this was the biggest belly I've ever seen) and in the front is 2 eye rounds that will be dried beef and a 3# brisket flat that is curing for corned beef. All told, right at 40# of goodies.

Yep, Rec Tec gonna be busy today,
Robert
Ya go big! That's gonna be a big haul of goodies. Big like from me. I think we now have two extra food groups...gravy and bacon

Ryan

I think we now have two extra food groups...gravy and bacon

You mean they aren't already? If not, we need to sit down with the FDA or whoever it is that makes up these food groups and bring them to reality.

Mine is on the smoker....well all but the corned beef. That needs to cure for another week but got the bacon and dried beef going. Rec Tec is currently about overloaded :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: Brokenhandle
BH, Great post and great looking bacon, you'll be stocked up for a while!
Thanks crazy! If I'm smart I should start on another batch now. Maybe I should talk to the store and tell them it's time for bacon to go on sale again.
And thanks for the like

Ryan

I know homemade is better, but bellies are $4 per pound here while commercially cured bacon in $3.
The price does add into the equation. Probably depending on where you live, around me bacon sold in stores has been between $4 and $8 lb. But after tasting bacon we make ourselves the difference between 3 and 4 dollar bacon is a no brainer for me. But that is my opinion, for two reasons...1, because of this site I now have the know how on how to cure and smoke bacon myself, and I enjoy doing it. 2...I'm not getting any younger, so by doing it myself (should clarify here...I do the curing and smoking but my wife is a huge help with the slicing and vac sealing! And I appreciate that so much) I know what is in the bacon that we do ourselves.

Ryan

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Would like to see $3 bacon if you see it it is usually poor quilty.

Warren
They carry Smithfield's at Sam's. A three pound pack for $10. The store brand is pretty identical and it's a buck cheaper. Not top of the line and it is thin cut, it does a hell of a job wrapping up an ABT.

I notice those were Duroc bellies at 1.99 a pound. That is a phenomenal deal. That's high quality pig right there. Bacon looks awesome.
Thanks alelover alelover hope they have that sale again soon. That store doesn't always have belly on hand

Ryan

Man I could use a BLT about now !!

Gary
Amen to that gary! With a garden fresh tomato besides. Only problem is it was 16 below zero this morning with a wind chill about 36 below. Guess we will have to stare and drool over the gurneys catalog until spring comes

Ryan

very nice job and congrats on the carousel ride. My bacon goes in the smoke tomorrow, my smoker is very similar to yours but not as big.

HT
Thanks hoity toit hoity toit , and I was very honored to be put on the carousel, was the first time. Good luck with your bacon smoke and we want to see pics of bacon and smoker.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky