Time for another brisket.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

b-one

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 31, 2014
Michigan
Just got a roughly 13# brisky after trimming,rubbed with L&P bold and Big Ron's hint of Houston rub I got for Christmas. Planning overnight cook on the WSM cherry and pecan for smoke. Anyone try this rub, this will be my first brisket that's not been SPOGed. I'm torn between going with it or rinsing it off to go SPOG and toss on a TT with big Ron's to try it first.

I vote for Big Ron's, however,  I have no experience with it.  I've only used rub on one brisket and was my favorite.  Since then, I've followed all of the other ideas about salt and pepper, or spog, about letting the beef be the flavor.  My next brisket will have a rub.

Mike

I vote for Big Ron's, however,  I have no experience with it.  I've only used rub on one brisket and was my favorite.  Since then, I've followed all of the other ideas about salt and pepper, or spog, about letting the beef be the flavor.  My next brisket will have a rub.

Mike

I'll most likely leave it on unless someone chimes in with a bad review,it would be a pain to rinse! Not sure if I will smoke the TT or not may save for Monday if I stick with the Big Rob's.

Big Ron's HoH will be a winner for you!

Until I started making my own rub, I bought from Ron 5 pounds at a time. It's some good stuff!

popcorn.gif

Mike

Just tossed it on at 9!

[thread="240235"]That's awesome. How man times will you wake up tonight?[/thread]

Hopefully one at the most! Once the WSM is going it's pretty solid I smoke just inside the garage the only open vent away from the door that I can close with my foot under it and lock it and the smoke just goes out the top of the door! I've got the maverick set I case there's a issue but I'm hoping for the best. I'll most likely go to bed around midnight after putting the meat probe in.

Hopefully one at the most! Once the WSM is going it's pretty solid I smoke just inside the garage the only open vent away from the door that I can close with my foot under it and lock it and the smoke just goes out the top of the door! I've got the maverick set I case there's a issue but I'm hoping for the best. I'll most likely go to bed around midnight after putting the meat probe in.
 Cool, sounds like you're an experience "overnight" smoker. I haven't attempted that yet but good to know my WSM can handle an overnight well.

Well, good luck and can't wait to see the progress.

Bryce

Cool, sounds like you're an experience "overnight" smoker. I haven't attempted that yet but good to know my WSM can handle an overnight well.

Well, good luck and can't wait to see the progress.

Bryce

Not sure I'd call it experienced,maybe just overconfident! The first time I remember doing a brisket the alarm went off quite a bit,then I set a wider margin for the pit temp on my maverick therm I like sleeping while it cooks!

Is it done yet? I want pics!

Oh, just went on... Crap, I guess I'll wait...

How much longer? :biggrin:

I'm hoping for a early lunch,I also had to chop a chunk off to fit my 18.5 WSM that will be a good snack one way or the other.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky