Time adjustment question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Carvendive

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 15, 2018
NE Wisconsin
Sorry for such short notice but it just came up. I'm smoking boneless Turkey theighs today. Normally it'd be ~2-1/2 hrs at 230°F.

The problem is that I have to be away from the smoker for 3-1/2 to 4 hrs. I've never run my RecTec on low (somewhere below 200°F) but it does have that setting. Any ideas as to if that'll give me the extra 1 to 1-1/2 hour cook time I need?

Yes, never done that before either but they do say "set and forget". The other problem might be TOO much smoke. Low is the extreme smoke setting on the Stampede (I guess all pellet poopers).

Set and forget does not mean you can leave unattended. I will run to the store etc but never few hours. That said, if there is someone there that can keep an eye it and (God forbid) put out a fire then that's another matter. I think your plan sounds doable and I don't think the extra time/smoke should harm. BTW I never eat what I smoke same day.

Set and forget does not mean you can leave unattended. I will run to the store etc but never few hours. That said, if there is someone there that can keep an eye it and (God forbid) put out a fire then that's another matter. I think your plan sounds doable and I don't think the extra time/smoke should harm. BTW I never eat what I smoke same day.

My friend has a rec tec bull and I just asked him and he has run it as low as 180 before. I also know he has put butts on and went to work so leaving wasn't an issue.

Not too worried about a fire at 180, plus even if it did, it's on concrete with no combustibles near by. My only question is how much extra time do I get by lowering the GT from 230 to 180?

Thanks all. I ended up NOT smoking while away. When I got back I set the GT to 350 and after 20 min reset to 220 for 30 min and then back up to 350. The initial high temp brought the meat up quickly and then the 220 added a lot of smoke. Added some sauce and Then, the final 350 finished the cook quickly. I took them off at 173°F after a total time of 90 min. Minimum instant read was 169. They tasted Great!

I think I'll have to give the extreme smoke (Low) setting a try so I can know it's temp so I can better use it in the future.

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky