tied sausages touching each other

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oldvirginiajoe

Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Smithfield, Va.
I made sausage this month, tying them in double links, as ropes of links. They were cured, and cool smoked, and turned out fine, except for this:  Where each pair of links touches each other, of course the surface along the length of each link, between them, did not dry like the rest of the link, and leaves a moist finish streak on each link.  Is it possible to do something different as I tie them, each pair, to make them NOT touch each other, and thereby better dry each link as they hang prior to smoking?  I bet there is a trick to this that I don't know. If not, that is OK, but the links would be "prettier" if they did not finish with the pale, moist streak along the length of each link.  Thanks for any solutions.  I love tying links---its pretty fun.

Of course there's a trick! :biggrin:
I use a couple popsicle sticks.
Slide the popsicle sticks in top and bottom and turn them to separate the links.
Cut the sticks in half, they don't need to be long.

~Martin

Last edited:
I just use toothpicks. I asked pretty much the same question on here a couple weeks ago and that's what someone suggested. It worked great for me.

I link them like this... Its more time consuming but they dont touch when they hang on the dowel.

I tie the casing while on the tube, stuff my length, tie again, cut, pinch the middle and twist 3 times then hang

Joe

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky