Throat opening

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveman92789

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
Is it possible for the throat opening from the firebox to the CC to be too large? If so what would the drawbacks be of too large?

I assume it's better for it to be too large than too small. I have a pecos and based on calculators online the throat should be 51in² & its currently 36in². I want to cut it out more so the firebox doesn't trap so much heat.

Thoughts?

Is it possible for the throat opening from the firebox to the CC to be too large? If so what would the drawbacks be of too large?

I assume it's better for it to be too large than too small. I have a pecos and based on calculators online the throat should be 51in² & its currently 36in². I want to cut it out more so the firebox doesn't trap so much heat.

Thoughts?
Is your cooker not working correctly? No reason to fix something not broken.

The fb/cc opening is 8.25"x4.25" seems a little small. FB is 20" diameter x 20" long. CC is 20" diameter x 40" long. Stack is 5" diameter x 28" long.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky