Thoughts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

babydocsmoker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2022
Northern Utah
So I bought these on a whim. Always wanted to try beef ribs…but this is a first for me. How would you prepare these and smoke these?

I’ve seen beef ribs before, and these honestly don’t have a tone of meat on them? Thoughts?

IMG_8986.jpeg

This is a cook a did a while back...

I did not remove the silverskin - just rubbed them up and on they went for a while :)

225 for 6 hours, them bumped to 275 3 hors, 1 hour in cooler wrapped with butcher paper. Rub was Slap Yo Daddy Beef Rub, but you could use whatever rub you prefer of course.

629428-3fb84547a35c6255645828c39a34d4e1.jpg
629429-5f9e8691c4d75cf562ca4f786cb3d8d7.jpg
629430-e8447969dd299d2ae4b1d750ba63a954.jpg

I’ve seen beef ribs before, and these honestly don’t have a tone of meat on them? Thoughts?
Those are beef back ribs and they are the ribs that are removed from a whole rib to make boneless ribeye. Left on, the whole rib is often referred to as prime rib. They are the beef equivalent of pork baby back ribs and they are not the same ribs that GrumpyGriller GrumpyGriller posted about. His are plate ribs or plate short ribs. Here's a forum topic that explains the types of ribs...

Also, here's an interweb article that explains the 3 types of beef ribs...

Yes, they have less meat because the ribeye that they are removed from is much more valuable on the market. I like to smoke them as a whole rack like this...
1682614608367.png

What you have is the above rack cut into individual ribs. I season with a homemade rub that I don't remember where I got the recipe from, but here it is...
  • ¼ cup coarse salt
  • ¼ cup brown sugar. I substitute Swerve.
  • 2 T coarse pepper
  • 2 T paprika
  • 2 T chili powder. I make my own.
  • 1 T cayenne
  • 1 T garlic powder
Or your favorite rub will work just fine. I smoke around 250℉ until about 205℉ I.T. or probe tender, then wrap tightly and hold in an oven at 175℉. The individual ribs can be cooked the same way, but if they dry out, wrap them with a little beef broth in an aluminum pan. Not a lot of meat, but they are fantastic. Hope this helps...

This is a cook a did a while back...

I did not remove the silverskin - just rubbed them up and on they went for a while :)

225 for 6 hours, them bumped to 275 3 hors, 1 hour in cooler wrapped with butcher paper. Rub was Slap Yo Daddy Beef Rub, but you could use whatever rub you prefer of course.

View attachment 663913

Totally agree with Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke (Charles) - these are back ribs NOT plate short ribs. The prep and cooking will be different. Do like Charles' version - POINTS!
This is why I love you guys!!

Reactions: KimberlyO
Those are beef back ribs and they are the ribs that are removed from a whole rib to make boneless ribeye. Left on, the whole rib is often referred to as prime rib. They are the beef equivalent of pork baby back ribs and they are not the same ribs that GrumpyGriller GrumpyGriller posted about. His are plate ribs or plate short ribs. Here's a forum topic that explains the types of ribs...

Also, here's an interweb article that explains the 3 types of beef ribs...

Yes, they have less meat because the ribeye that they are removed from is much more valuable on the market. I like to smoke them as a whole rack like this...
View attachment 663937
What you have is the above rack cut into individual ribs. I season with a homemade rub that I don't remember where I got the recipe from, but here it is...
  • ¼ cup coarse salt
  • ¼ cup brown sugar. I substitute Swerve.
  • 2 T coarse pepper
  • 2 T paprika
  • 2 T chili powder. I make my own.
  • 1 T cayenne
  • 1 T garlic powder
Or your favorite rub will work just fine. I smoke around 250℉ until about 205℉ I.T. or probe tender, then wrap tightly and hold in an oven at 175℉. The individual ribs can be cooked the same way, but if they dry out, wrap them with a little beef broth in an aluminum pan. Not a lot of meat, but they are fantastic. Hope this helps...
Thank you for that!! You guys are the best!

Well.....the dogs ate well.

Put the ribs on, at 200 degrees and anticipated about a 30-50 degree rise....and I think my little helper was a little too much help. He tweaked the vents wide open. Came out an hour later and the Kamado was at 600. Tried to cool it down as quick as I could, but as you know, Kamado's don't have huge swings.

I probably should have pulled the meat off and let it cool, instead I just tried to fight it. In the end it wasn't worth a final pic. There were little thicker spots of meat that were really good...but we're only talking a mouthful at the most.

I'll be off to Costco again this week to try again...cause I'm not going down like that!!

Yes those bones were smoke roasted, toss them in with some sauteed onion, carrot and whatever you like. Add water or wine and to either make a nice stock or a great sauce..

Reactions: babydocsmoker
Sorry that happened….

Try some beef chuck short ribs next… very forgiving…. Just smoke with your preferred rub and wood at 250-265* til probe tender! This is a pic from one of the smokes my son helped me make! Just a suggestion… but chuck short ribs are very tasty!

Attachments

• E68E73D1-9212-4872-9A62-B6F01F11277B.jpeg
    E68E73D1-9212-4872-9A62-B6F01F11277B.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: JLeonard
Sorry that happened….

Try some beef chuck short ribs next… very forgiving…. Just smoke with your preferred rub and wood at 250-265* til probe tender! This is a pic from one of the smokes my son helped me make! Just a suggestion… but chuck short ribs are very tasty.
That looks awesome! Honestly, I'll have to look around. I haven't found a ton of beef ribs in my neck of the woods.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky