Those exchange propane you buy....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

killbuck

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
WNY (Seneca Reservation)
I copied this from another forum I belong to, but after talking to a guy at
a refill station I totally agree with all of the following. My milage and dollars may be bit different than below but hey....not much.
Killbuck
.................................................. .........................

With the possible exception of a romance shortage on your
honeymoon, there's nothing more frustrating than running out
of propane for the old gas grill about halfway through a
cookout while entertaining a house full of noshing guests who
are drooling in anticipation. But like John Wayne might have
said, "Pilgrim, get used to it." Why? Because while you
weren't paying attention, the propane tank exchange folks
(with very little fanfare) have reduced the amount of gas in
those 20-pound cylinders by a cool 25%. Yep, you heard
correct, so that they could avoid raising prices when the cost
of propane skyrocketed; they now pump as little as 15 pounds
of gas into those 20-pound tanks. But, before we continue,
here's a brief propane primer.

Some folks believe that propane and natural gas are one in the
same. They're not. Propane is produced during the refining of
crude oil. It rises to a specific elevation in a fractionating
tower where it is collected for distribution/sale. Natural gas
consists primarily of methane and is pumped from gas wells.
I've learned about propane because the area where I reside is
bereft of natural gas lines, so I'm compelled to fuel my
kitchen and parlor stoves with the stuff along, of course,
with my gas grill. Lastly, a gallon of propane weighs 4.24
pounds. Therefore, 4.71 gallons are required to refill a
completely empty 20-pound cylinder.

In 2008, when oil prices spiked to $140/barrel, a gallon of
propane was selling for nearly $1.80. Now, like oil, the price
of propane has fallen dramatically. But the propane tank
exchange guys are still putting 25% less in their exchangeable
tanks. Why? It's called greed. Help me out here. 20 doesn't
equal 15, right? So what's a gas grill guy to do? Simple, quit
buying those exchange tanks at the convenience/grocery store
and go directly to a propane supplier, where 20 still equals
20. The savings you'll reap can be substantial. Here's what I
mean.

At my local convenience store, a "20-pound" cylinder of
propane carries an "exchange" price of $22.99. Add in the
dreaded sales tax and that tank of grill gas tops out at
$24.83. At our local propane dealer, located a mere two miles
farther up the road, a 20-pound tank refill sells for $14 with
tax included. Yikes, what a price differential!
Now in defense of the tank exchange outfits, the sign on the
tank exchange cage states that the cylinders only contain 15
pounds. But think about it. By shopping directly with the
dealer, I'm purchasing 25% more propane for 44% less money.
Most importantly, I'm confident that I'm getting what I'm
paying for. The propane dealer's scale has been checked for
accuracy by the county's department of weights and measures.
Conversely, I really can't say for certain exactly how much
propane is in the tank at the exchange place, because I wasn't
present when it was filled.

And here are two more strategies for saving money on propane.
First, pick up the phone, call various propane outfits, and
compare prices. As an example, there's another propane dealer
in our general area that advertises 20-pound tank refills for
$9.98. The problem with that for me personally is that they're
located 22 miles from my home. So while I'd save another $4
per tank, I'd burn up three gallons of gas driving over and
back. My point here is this. Most of us keep a mental list of
which service stations have the cheapest gasoline, and there's
no reason not to keep that same kind of information handy when
it comes to propane prices.

The second tactic is to purchase an additional 20-pound tank.
If the first one runs dry during a BBQ, slap #2 in place and
keep right on cooking. Then refill the empty when your travels
will take you near a propane dealer. You'll avoid driving
extra miles, your grilling won't be interrupted, and you'll
probably save some money. Then you can use some of those extra
dollars for some nice steaks, the gas grill's best friend!

Disclaimer: Propane prices quoted were as of May 26, 2009.

Thanks for the post....good info...I have 2 tanks.
wink.gif
But running out would be a bummer.
icon_cry.gif

It gets worse, A friend of mine had his 1000 lb tank filled for $1.09/gal with a 300 gal minimum purchase. We looked it up and a gallon of propane weighs 4.24 lbs, if they are putting 20 lbs of propane in a tank, that is 4.715 gallons, at bulk price that's $5.14, and you know they are still making a profit.

So, what about the weight of the tank itself? What should we look for on the scale as they go to refill so we can tell if we are getting ripped off?

I'll pay more attention next time. Somehow I tend to think they have already preset it, but then again, there are different sizes of tanks that get refilled too. Anybody every tried weighing a full tank on the bathroom scales
icon_mrgreen.gif

Being single now I don't have a bathroom scale. So no help there.
But I use two places now for refills. They both put the tank on the scale and then zero it. When it hits 18 they slowly start to shut the valve off. At 20 it's done.

At BJ's the guy even checks the valve with a screwdriver for me to make sure the valve works and is ok. I like that part. I had an exchange tank that didn't work once because he said it had been probably laid down on it's side and shut off the safety valve.

HTH

I used to work for our local hardware store in Huxley Iowa. I still fill in if I can when they are in a pinch. Anyway, that store refills tanks. They get $16.99 before tax. While they weigh the tank they still go by the opd valve (the triangular valve all 20s must have now). They watch the scale but are really waiting for the valve to shut. You can hear it and feel it shut through the hose. The only time the scale is really used is when the tank weight and the 20 pounds exceeds what it should (41# if memory serves) then they shut it down. I think a person could ask to watch them fill or simply ask do you fill or bring the tank up to 15# of propane (that would probably be a total weight of 36#). I'm sure there are a lot of places out there like our hardware store that does it the right way. But ask because we all are feeling these hard times.

dmack

Hi, all.
I had actually started a thread about this a couple of weeks ago
here. Check the link for the newspaper article.

Anyway, since that time, I decided to do a little checking and found that the U-Haul Store a couple of miles from my house fills tanks. Well, I had a spare empty tank in the garage, so I took it down there to get it filled. They charged me $2.52 per gal., so 5 gal. came to $12.60. I also got a $1.00 discount for what they call a decal discount (I think it has something to do with a decal that's supposed to be on the tank. If they have to put one on it they charge an extra dollar). So, that made my cost $11.60 plus tax. I figure that I saved about $12.00 by not getting one of those exchange tanks.

He told me that sometimes people will think that they don't have enough propane left to do their grilling and will trade in a tank that still has some propane left in it. The exchange company gets a bonus that way because that's a little less propane they need to put in the tank. U-Haul only charges for the propane you actually need to fill your tank. So, if you take a tank with three gallons still in it, you only buy 2 gallons to fill it.

Sounds like a way better deal to me than the exchange thing.

I have a question for all of you. I've not used my propane grill in while & have a pair of 20 gal tanks that have not been filled in years. My understanding is that the tanks need to be pressure tested every so many years & propane dealers will not fill them if the tank has expired.

My question is, where does one go to get the tanks tested? Does a welding supply store or a propane dealer do the testing? Or should I just invest in new tanks?

Do they have the new style overfill valves? Ifin not, there bout useless, costs as much ta have new valves put in as new tanks. Ifin they are the new style, any propane dealer can recertify yer tanks fer ya.

just use your tanks until they are empty and exchange them for a new tank. that is the only time i use the exchange program the price is right for a current tank and propane when needing an exchange only. every other time i refil at one of 3 suppliers near my home. i save at least $10 per tank on refils. they charge $22.00 for an exchange around here. I have now 9 tanks all current because i have picked up for free or paid less than $5 for an old tank, used the propane and got a new tank to replace it.

The wieght of the tank empty should be stamped on the tank itself with the manufacture date of the tank. the only time I exchange tanks is when I want to update the tank to a current legal tank. Works out nice now that Menard's has a self serve 24/7 tank exchange station. Their exchange price is $17.98 or something like. Now I have two good tanks.

if you get a tank with the old style valve this is when you want to pay extra to the goofies at the local c store, half they time they don't know what is what and if its a female worker you can always say "let me load it for you" so they don't even have to look at it really.
My cousin works for a moving company, one of the things they cannot put in the semi is the tank, most people will take them in their personal vehicle unless its an oversees move then they just have to abandon them, he has seven tanks nowl, I personally have two just to avoid this situation, We actually have one real gas station and one non big box hardware store in town that fills so that is what I usually do, the rv places act like you are killing them and often times want you to drop it off and come back like its a big deal to fill one. If I had a big 4 or 6 burner unit I would just get a 100 lb and get a coop to check it monthly in the summer on a keep full agreement.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky