This normal? HELP!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

integritybbq

Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
Need some help guys. I took belly and pork loins out of Pops brine after 16 days. They look grey/brown. Doesnt have a smell at all. I cut the peices in half to see what they looked like inside, The red is where I cut, this normal?

I cut the bacon to show what the inside looks like, but as you can see the right side still looks pale/brown/grey.

I injected the loins, It looks cured on the inside???, whats going on the the outside???

Last edited:
Did a fry test from one of the pink/red ends, cut in 1/2 inch slice. I "tried" to cut that in half like a 1/4 inch slice to check color. Looks pink in the middle, the outside is more white(this is the area that was brown/grey) I have not tasted it as I am not sure if this is good or not. Any advice?

Last edited:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/120491/cured-belly-bacon-color-question

I think you are ok. You followed Pops brine, you kept it cold, sometimes colors happen, they really should dissipate after smoking. I never felt the need to cut 'em open and look. Place 'em in the fridge to dry, then smoke 'em. I think you are ok, did you cut a small slice and do a fry test? 

Sometimes slime even develops.... Eeeeewwwww. But usually Ok as long as nothing is growing, nothing is stinking.

Like I said I think you are Ok,

PS, Sorry MossyMo didn't see you there.

Last edited:
I used:

Pops cure:

1 gal. cold water
1 cup salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp. DQ Cure (or any #1 cure, but not Tenderquick with salt added)

CB

(2) 5lb loins 16 days in brine, I also injected. Picked up 4oz injector with 360 spray nozzle 

Belly

(3) 3lb bellies 16days in brine, did not inject.

Reason I asked is I am much more familiar with dry curing bellies. So I will stay away from offering my thoughts with wet curing... Will be following the thread to see how things go and learn more for myself!

Well I put everything in front of a fan and air dried them for 4 hours, they were dry but not sticky. Cold smoked everything for 11 hours with pit master blend. They looked more yellow that anything coming out of smoker, hard to tell really in pic. You can see the yellow more in the fat.

Still haven't tasted anything yet as I would like some more answers if the meat looks the way it should. Well let everything mellow in fridge until then. Thanks Foam for that link, does make me feel better :)

Everything looks A-OK to me and I've made me a lot of bacon. There will be a radical change in color once smoked to temp (140/150?).

~Z

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky