This is a great sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Danblacksher

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 15, 2022
Brandon, Mississippi
I just wanted to share one that is worth trying. I have been mixing different recipes to try to recreate a particular store sausage. I have not been successful but what I did produce I have made with Pork, and both brisket and Chuck roast and it is my favorite sausage I have ever had including store-bought. Worth a try for all you sausage lovers!

Meat

(Add 10% fat to picnic shoulder)

For venison add 30% fat

Kosher salt 1.8%

Brown sugar 1.3%.

Black pepper .64% or .5%white pepper

Curing salt .25%

Garlic powder .92%

Mustard seed .22%.

Marjoram .1%

3% nonfat dry milk powder 3%

1/2 cup cold 1/2 1/2 6%

Pepper jack cheese or Cheddar 10%

Red pepper flakes .3%.

Attachments

• 4CBFA7BD-2B28-48C7-96B3-BACC3D2D5C23.jpeg
    4CBFA7BD-2B28-48C7-96B3-BACC3D2D5C23.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 3C0B3408-BD0C-499A-9C02-AF93320FF1E5.jpeg
    3C0B3408-BD0C-499A-9C02-AF93320FF1E5.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
JCK sorry those grams were based on the weight of my last batch. Just weigh the meat in grams and multiply by the percent to get the grams of seasoning, cheese, milk powder and 1/2 1/2. sorry about that

no I just got the Lem pack of hog casings and then let them soak for at least 3 days and they did great. I also bought some from a local butcher supply and they were the same size as the LEM but better quality.

Doug you are correct sir I forgot to take it! After the first bite I lost all focus! Rookie move lol! I froze 2 packs of them so I will get the cut shot next time i pull a pack out

Reactions: DougE
Doug you are correct sir I forgot to take it! After the first bite I lost all focus! Rookie move lol! I froze 2 packs of them so I will get the cut shot next time i pull a pack out
Just giving you a hard time, bud, they look really good.

JCK sorry those grams were based on the weight of my last batch. Just weigh the meat in grams and multiply by the percent to get the grams of seasoning, cheese, milk powder and 1/2 1/2. sorry about that

It was more so for any new people getting into sausage to create less confusion... .

Thanks

I just wanted to share one that is worth trying. I have been mixing different recipes to try to recreate a particular store sausage. I have not been successful but what I did produce I have made with Pork, and both brisket and Chuck roast and it is my favorite sausage I have ever had including store-bought. Worth a try for all you sausage lovers!

Meat

(Add 10% fat to picnic shoulder)

For venison add 30% fat

Kosher salt 1.8%

Brown sugar 1.3%.

Black pepper .64% or .5%white pepper

Curing salt .25%

Garlic powder .92%

Mustard seed .22%.

Marjoram .1%

3% nonfat dry milk powder 3%

1/2 cup cold 1/2 1/2 6%

Pepper jack cheese or Cheddar 10%

Red pepper flakes .3%.
Nice!!! Looks very similar to a Texas style sausage of some kind that uses beef and pork. Simple and amazing :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky