Rich,
Where is a good place to buy S.S. wood scrapers?
I have an old'ish acoustic Martin guitar , the last tech that worked on it put a decent gouge on the face of it. It should come out reasonably easy. He was a super nice guy, so I didn't want him to get in trouble with his manager, so I said don't worry about it, he was relived big time.
Years later I want to sand down the face then scrape it to thin the face down, to get rid of the mar, and to see if a thinner face will brighten it up a touch.
The old Martins had much thinner faces than the model I have, which is a D10E. It's not an heirloom guitar, so I'm willing to risk messing it up. I won't even remove the bridge plate, I'll used the scraper around it.
Then it I'll have a thin coat of nitro sprayed on it, or I might give it a hand oiled finish, I haven't decided yet. If the face turns out nice, I'll probably do the back as well. (It's worth experimenting with to me).