Thinking of upgrading my smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coryww

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 15, 2015
The last 2 years I have been running a cabinet style gasser and it has made me some amazing food. However I think it’s time to upgrade from my first smoker.... now comes the challenging part. I do like the ease of using the gasser and the flavors have always been on point so I am looking for something that is as controllable but can also be remotely monitored or trusted to run overnight without issue.

Some of my current ideas are between:

1: pellet smoker (GMG,LG or traeger)
2: WSM 22.5 with BBQ guru
3: UDS with BBQ guru.

The hesitation on my end on making a decision are:

1: I Already have a really nice grill with infrared sear stations so I don’t think the pellet grill is as useful as I only want it to smoke with.

2/3:I have only played with charcoal so I know there is a learning curve but I think I am up to the challenge.

My questions are along the lines of

what would you all recommend?

Would you suggest pellet grill over WSM or a UDS?

If you were to choose going the WSM or UDS is the bbq Guru the best? Can you remotely monitor it for overnight cooks or if we run out for a few hours during the day? And make adjustments if necessary?

Can you get a WSM or UDS low enough to make jerky?

Thanks all in advance!

I only smoke on my pellet grill. (GMG, DB).
I've got a cheap gasser to reverse sear if I choose to.

Before the GMG, I used a masterbuilt gasser. Like you made some fantastic Q. I will say, the smoke profile is not as strong on my pellet grill as the masterbuilt. I use the a-maz-n tube in the DB for every smoke.

My GMG is about 4 yrs old, and gets used yr round. The winter cover is a must if you're in a closer climate.

Reactions: coryww
If I had my Druthers, I'd druther have a GMG. It just appeals to me.
And they have some cool controls available for many of the grills now. Truely a set it, and forget it world.

My current patio barby is a natural gas jetted Charbroiler, from a propane tanker. So I'm torn about a gasser Smoker that could use NG, or electric to run off my solar panel reserves. I'm using a modified Brinkman Smoke and Grill as my electric smoker, and have for years now.
But I don't see me changing any time soon...

If your interest is in Jerky, why not get a Dehydrator. Smoke the meat a bit, then jerk it.
I've been making Jerky like a fool since I got a Dehydrator as a Christmas gift. Which reminds me, I need to go massage the batch in the fridge. Strips from a Bottom Round Roast, in a regular original recipe, with some heat added. (I'm coming to like some Cyan, and smoked Paprika added.)

I'm of the school of the right tool for the job. I think a grill is kind of big for making jerky, myself.
YMMV

You will have better temperature control with a pellet grill, but I’d recommend one with a PID controller over Ortech- my Camp Chef is doing great, but I am disappointed with the 50 degree fluctuation. As for searing- that’s why God made Weber’s.

I've never made Jerky so I won't pretend to know what I'm talking about, but with that said if you use the snake method I believe you can achieve your desired temps. The learning curve on a WSM isn't to bad especially with all the info on this forum. Lots of people here have them and do very well. Myself included. The toughest part is figuring out which size WSM to get. I think SmokinAl uses a guru or something similar on his and I don't recall hearing any negatives.

Chris

Your right gmc!
I do have a Guru on my WSM.
It's been a workhorse for several years & has been putting out great Q all those years.
Overnight cooks are as simple as making sure there is enough fuel to burn & setting the Guru to what ever temp you want it to run at. However I have not tried to make jerky in it. I use my MES for that. That being said, I don't know why you couldn't set up the WSM/Guru for jerky. You would need to start a very small fire & let the Guru take over. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.
You could hang quite a bit of jerky from the top rack with hooks.
Al

recommend: Don't upgrade, Add. The more smokers the merrier.
Different types of smokers each have their own pros and cons.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky