Thinking of Frankensteining my Masterbuilt 30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SweetCosmicPope

Original poster
May 26, 2020
My wife bought me a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker 30" two years ago for Father's Day.

For a cheap little machine, it's done it's job well, but it's not really producing smoke as well as it used to, and I've wanted to have a little more range in the temps I could cook with.

My thoughts were that I would still buy a smoke chief and bolt it onto the side of the feeder hole and feed mass amounts of smoke into the cabinet, while also using the "oven" of the smoker to be able to go to lower temps for longer cooks without affecting my ability to produce smoke (which is already pretty non-existent).

At the same time, I'm going to get a new dual probe to better monitor the internal temp of my meat, as well as the temp of the cabinet, so I'm sure of accurate cooking temps and internal temps without having to open the door and let all the smoke out.

Has anybody done a frankenstein job like this before? Any flaws in the idea?

I use to use the 'cold smoker attachment' (which is called the 'slow smoker attachment') for the same purpose. I now use the Amazn Smoking tube with my MES30 and it works great. It generates tons of smoke and is not a Frankenstein configuration. Check out the tube...

I have a mes 30, I use the amnps tray with the mailbox mod. usually get about 10 hours of continuous smoke. but another smoker never hurts either:emoji_wink:. give it shot you can always unbolt it if your not happy the way it work.

Yup---You just joined us today, so you didn't see the hundreds & hundreds of guys who solved the same problem by inserting either an AMNPS (Tray), or an AMNTS (Tube), depending on your altitude.
No need to Frankenstein it---Just give it a Smoke generator that can give you up to 11 straight hours of perfect smoke without touching it. I've been using one for almost 10 years, and it works Great !!!

Bear

Reactions: Duncwood
I agree it's easiest to try an Amazn style tube or tray and see if that gives you the smoke you're craving. If you still want more, you could search for comments on the Masterbuilt Slow Smoker Side Accessory.

AMNTS or AMNPS with a mailbox mod. Using a mailbox or similar allows you to check your pellets or change pellet flavors without opening the smoker. Lots of threads on this.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky