Thinking of doing an eye round

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dauntless

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Groton, CT
I have a very small (2.5lbs) eye round roast, I am thinking rub it down, spritz with a beef marinade, hang some bacon off the top, then smoke with hickory around 220-230 till medium/med rare. Your thoughts and experience is requested.  I have never done anything like this before.

There will be some view when I do it, just not sure about this cut of meat. How should I cut it when done..thin for sandwiches or slice like a roast???

Isn't that a lean cut? I think you may want to wrap that in a bacon weave instead of just a few slices. Maybe even a little vinegar-based injection like Italian dressing or even a raspberry vineagrette or something of that nature. I like med rare and no more so the 145 mark would be my target.. Definately post it up.. Something I've been wanting to try for a while..

I'm with Pit on this, I personaly have not tried the Eye (yet). But I use the bacon weave on my pork loins and they are very tender and juicy! Good Luck, can't wait to see your finished Eye!!

Thanks for the link and tips!!! I think the plan is set:

rub with a steak rub that I have perfected (in my eyes only of course, you pros prob have better), let it sit over night, spritz with a marinade mixture, wrap in bacon (weave like a fatty maybe), let sit for a couple hours, then smoke at low temps (220-230) till temps get around 145-150 pull and let sit in foil for 30 mins or so and then cut thicker than sandwiches but thinner than a roast (1/2" or so)

I think the plan is set:
 Plan your work and work your plan 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky