Thinking of a new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ksmith9

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 8, 2020
Howdy everyone! I hope I'm posting in the right section. I am currently using a vertical pellet smoker but I'm unhappy with the amount of bark and charring that I'm getting and my briskets are not getting that good dark exterior that I want. I've been looking at offset and reverse flow offset, and would love some feedback regarding the switch. Thank you so much in advance

Reactions: JC in GB
Its only $ , I don't want no charring on my smoked meat, steak yes lol , I am wanting the new MB charcoal unit with the basket and the fan, $349 is a pretty fair price and its a pretty simple design so parts would be easy to get if ever needed

If your looking for an offset, be prepared to shell out some bucks. The cheaper one’s are very hard to control the temps with, because they are made of thinner metal. I have a 36” Lang & I just love it. It is not so big that I use a lot of wood, but big enough for whatever I want to put in it.
Al

Howdy everyone! I hope I'm posting in the right section. I am currently using a vertical pellet smoker but I'm unhappy with the amount of bark and charring that I'm getting and my briskets are not getting that good dark exterior that I want. I've been looking at offset and reverse flow offset, and would love some feedback regarding the switch. Thank you so much in advance

If you are looking to an offset, you could build your own and save some $$$$ and you can customize it to your liking. You would have to have access to a workspace and tools of course.

JC :emoji_cat:

I believe bark to based mostly on air flow, more air = more bark. With that said I'm digging my knock off Big Green Egg from Vision Grills. I get more bark on my brisket than I prefer so I usually finish the last 5 hours or so in foil. If you're not quite sold there are some good and cheap offsets to test out what you like here

Well I guess my main question is has anyone gotten good bark from a vertical pellet smoker? I've had some ribs that were almost crunchy on the outside with bark and so juicy on the inside. I'm assuming that happens from the intense heat from the wood.

Proper moisture, rub. airflow and technique all contribute to getting a good bark on your meat. Wrapping with aluminum foil will soften the bark, wrapping with butchers paper will still soften it, but to a much lessor degree. They say nut woods produce a better bark then fruit wood and I believe it to be true.

Chris

I've been cooking at about 250. 225 seems to be a little cool on my smoker

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky