Thinking about getting an insulated blanket for my Traeger Pro 34

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoking Audi

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 19, 2021
We have been kicking around the idea of getting a blanket for winter but were not totally sure about it. This past weekend we did some steaks when the ambient temp was 32. Took a long time to heat up and OMFG the heat loss with the door open.

So I humbly ask that you educate me on blankets. I have seen them from $70 to $150. The low end price said they were blemished and the high end price of course had the Traeger name tag up charge to it. Seen a few no name one on Amazon as well.

Also is there anything I need to do to the grill itself before using a blanket? I ask because my buddy has a Yoder and he said the blanket damaged his paint from the heat.

I have one for my Camp Chef Smoke Pro DLX 24. Think I paid 80 bucks for it. Works great, I leave it on year round. As far as damage, my lid is stainless, but to be honest I've never taken it off since I put it on, so the lid might look like crap under it.... but I don't care. Only thing that might be a problem for some folks are the magnets. Apparently they get damaged above 350 degrees.

Back when I had a GMG I was gifted the blanket made by GMG. The improvement was big and I actually never took the blanket off I left it on year around. I didn’t grill with it much my temps ran 250-300*ish. Never had a Problem. The blanket makes a big difference in pellet consumption as well as holding temps steady. With the light construction of GMG, Traeger etc… the blanket is worth it.
I now have a Yoder it’s thicker construction makes a big difference and I have no blanket for it, but it would still be useful. As for Yoder paint, it’s a problem on all of them. My cooker is under roof so never gets wet but the paint is a constant maintenance issue.

I would recommend one for sure. I bought a rec tec insulated cover - they stopped selling these. But make a big difference in pellet consumption and heat retention. the pellet grills will/should work to pretty darn cold, but the insulations helps a ton. I use it fall to spring.

Many use welding blankets they are quite affordable and I suspect you could cut it down and customize it? just guessing.

there is nothing to do to the grill before putting a blanket on it.

Many use welding blankets they are quite affordable and I suspect you could cut it down and customize it?
Harbor Freight has a 4x6 foot one for $24.99 that I will be getting next time I'm over that way. I'm thinking I can fold it up enough to make it work without cutting it. I would get the custom blanket from Camp Chef, but they are out of stock. The welding blanket is way cheaper anyhow, and from the reviews, there are a lot of people using the blankets on pellet grills.

The low end price said they were blemished and the high end price of course had the Traeger name tag up charge to it
RE this question, I would buy a blemished one if I could to save a few bucks. they get pretty dirty/smoky. Mine is black on the outside and that get quite dusty, the underside is silver fireproof stuff and is all stained up with smoke.

27kI9S1.jpg
Sometimes steel pits only need a wind break. And if you have an Army-Navy store, I'd start with a heavy wool blanket and a bungee cord. See what difference that makes, then you can go from there with a more tailored insulated blanket.

I'm in the snow belt and cook year-round. It's 29° right now and I would have no problem cooking on any cooker I own. I use an all-season cooker in the middle of winter for long cooks.

View attachment 516459
Sometimes steel pits only need a wind break. And if you have an Army-Navy store, I'd start with a heavy wool blanket and a bungee cord. See what difference that makes, then you can go from there with a more tailored insulated blanket.

I'm in the snow belt and cook year-round. It's 29° right now and I would have no problem cooking on any cooker I own. I use an all-season cooker in the middle of winter for long cooks.

Yes, similar to your dog pen in the background if you had an enclosure with solid sides that would do wonders for many cookers in cold weather. A 55G drum with both ends cut out dropped over a 18" WSM works well. Just set it on three bricks or similar to allow for air flow to the cooker.

The welding blanket sounds like a maybe since it’s pretty inexpensive. Would I just lay it over the top? What do you do with it when you gotta open the lid? Does it get too hot to touch or do I need a pair of fire gloves to mess with it?

Would I just lay it over the top?
I saw a thread on reddit a little while back where people were using magnets to keep the blanket in place. Some of them also removed the lid handle and sandwiched the blanket between the lid and the handle, which would simplify opening and closing the lid with the blanket on. I haven't been by Harbor Freight to get mine yet, so I don't know which way I'm going to do it. May just chuck it over top and throw it over a chair or something when I need to open the lid.

Reactions: bigfurmn
The welding blanket sounds like a maybe since it’s pretty inexpensive. Would I just lay it over the top? What do you do with it when you gotta open the lid? Does it get too hot to touch or do I need a pair of fire gloves to mess with it?
I just use a folded welding blanket draped over the top of my GMG. It works fine, and it is not too hot to handle with bare hands. I just take it off when I have to open the lid, and then replace it when I'm done. Simple.

Finally made it to Harbor Freight.
welding blanket.jpg

Looks to be about the perfect size.
welding blanket1.jpg

I run my pellet grill inside the barn with the doors cracked to let the smoke
out when it's cold or raining. I smoked a couple slabs of salmon tonight and
it got up to temp pretty quick with the blanket on.
welding blanket2.jpg

Wound up getting the generic cover off Amazon for $75 and we are smoking ribs today with it. It took 15 minutes to get up to 350F this morning when it was 36 and slightly windy. Last time without the cover it took MUCH longer than that and it never got up to set temp.

Reactions: sandyut
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky